Renewing UK passport from abroad

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

I had to have a document translated for my UK passport while living in France and the Consulate provided a list of local translators that they accepted translations from.
Maybe worth asking if they have such a list in Italy.
pambon

Post by pambon »

All done and dusted; the new passport has been processed and is currently at the printers for printing and will be returned within a couple of weeks.

Phew!
tavi

Post by tavi »

He was born just after the law came in (1981) allowing us ladies to pass our UK nationality to our offspring born abroad. Vive la difference!

I'm intrigued Pam, I just renewed my daughter's passport, born in the UK (90's), British Mum, Pt Dad. Applied from Portugal mid June and the new one arrived last week.

Could it be that being born abroad doesn't stop them having the British passport but requires them to provide extra documentation? We just had to send old passport, new photos, and the printout from the online application.

Seems crazy that the location of their birth should make any difference.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Evidently it does, tavi.

My son was born here with an Italian father and to enable him to have British nationality I had to register him at the British Consulate in Naples where he was duly registered as a British citizen and I was sent a birth certificate. Interestingly, he is not able to pass his British nationality onto a wife or any children (unless the children are born in the UK I imagine). It stops, as it were, with him.

With this third renewal he had to confirm proof of name and residency from a drop down list of options of various governmental letters which he couldn't provide as he doesn't have any letters from State agencies, which left us with the only option of an employer's letter which thankfully, having been disoccupied for a year or so, he was able to provide and which I had to have professionally translated. The passport office also requested that these last letters of proof were original letters (no email print outs) and also the translation in the original.

The application went through automatically online once I filled in the form and payment was made. It was only after completing this that all the documents needed came up instead of before filling in the damn form. You are given 90 days to get it all together and send off with the passport etc otherwise you lose the £102.00 you have already paid!!!!!!

You are even required to send it folded once as in A5 format (I sent it A4!) and by courier service for safety. I finally sent it off last Monday with Mail Boxes etc and it arrived in Durham 24 hours later!

This afternoon they confirmed it had been processed and was already at the printers. I should be getting it within a couple of weeks.

What surprises me most is all the red tape for a simple renewal and for the small things like letters and translations in the original, how to fold them for posting and precise sizing to within 2mm of the photos.

Anyway that's it for another ten years for my offspring. Mine runs out in 8 years time and I doubt I will be renewing it, just keep my Italian one or stay put at home :lol:
tavi

Post by tavi »

What a song and dance Pam!

I have a friend whose parents became naturalized British Citizens 50/60 years ago, before she was born, She now lives in Rome but has to fly to the UK for an interview to renew her British Passport!

p.s. edit to say: AND the cost! For those stupid electronic chip things which half the time don't even work at the airport!
pambon

Post by pambon »

pambon wrote:All done and dusted; the new passport has been processed and is currently at the printers for printing and will be returned within a couple of weeks.

Phew!
New passport arrived yesterday. Never had it done so quickly and MINE took over a month when I did it a couple of years ago :cry:
tavi

Post by tavi »

oh good.

So nice when something actually works!!! :)