Oven or not?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
SarahV

Oven or not?

Post by SarahV »

Hi All,

We are hoping to set up a self-catering studio apartment. Ideally suited for 2 people but could accommodate 4. We anticipate mostley short stays.

Thinking about what to provide in the small kitchenette . So far; sink, kettle, fridge, toaster, microwave. No dishwasher. Do we bother with a small oven or not? I'm thinking not as its one more thing to have to clean and a lot of agro for a 2 night stay! Also we have places to eat within walking distance (1.5 miles) plus takeaways. Before anyone suggests a combi-microwave oven, I have one at home which I love but they take a bit of getting used and you can inadvertently burn food in the micro thinking you're using the oven (at least in my one)

Would really appreciate your views.

Thanks
Sarah
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

I think 1.5 miles is a long way. It might be great on a lovely summer evening but not in the dark/rain/cold........

What about something like this:

http://ao.com/pla/22780-Russell-Hobbs-M ... GwodrjQFDw
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

1.5 miles each way? That is really too far especially if guests have been on their feet all day or are not as able as they could be.

We are only a mile from a lot of shops and restaurants and I do not advertise as within walking distance although I could as the return journey is all a long steep hill.

Lack of a dishwasher would be a deal breaker for me too.
SarahV

Post by SarahV »

Thanks , I obviously need to be careful about how I describe the location. Just state the distance and leave it up to them to decide if it's walking distance or not (there are a couple of places much nearer but more choice a bit further away).

I'm not sure anyone would expect/mind a dishwasher for a very short stay but appreciate it may limit whether or not we'd get people wanting longer stays. Just don't think we have the room.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a closer look.
SarahV

Post by SarahV »

I should have mentioned that we were planning to install a small hob, sorry. It's just the oven I'm in two minds about.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Where is the apartment? An oven wouldn't be a deal breaker in a city but could be elsewhere. As always it depends on who your target market is.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I also have a combi-microwave/oven that you don't want us to suggest. It's been used for 5 years in a rental property with no problems. I provide a laminated sheet with basic instructions and an online video to stop people microwaving stuff for 40 minutes.
SarahV

Post by SarahV »

I'd describe it as being on the outskirts of a large village/small town.
We could attract all sorts eg walkers, sightseers , people visiting family, attending local events, business people, so trying to keep our options open at this stage.
Thanks to advice already received on LMH we are leaning towards 2 people (King size bed and sofa bed so in theory up to 4) so not really aimed at families or groups.
SarahV

Post by SarahV »

kevsboredagain wrote:I also have a combi-microwave/oven that you don't want us to suggest. It's been used for 5 years in a rental property with no problems. I provide a laminated sheet with basic instructions and an online video to stop people microwaving stuff for 40 minutes.
:lol: perhaps it's just me then! How long are your lets? I'm wondering if people will bother to read instructions/ watch video for a 2 night stay. do you think people actually use the oven or does it just make the rental seem more attractive?
I do love mine and it would save space but concerned people are more likely to ruin their food when they have no back up.
Vera

Post by Vera »

Our one bedroom apartment doesn't have an oven and it has never been mentioned as being a problem in 12 years. It has a basic microwave with grill, 4 burner hob and bbq which is the most popular option, along with eating out.
We are also 5 minutes by car from restaurants and takeaways.

If it was me I would rather have a dishwasher (which we also don't have!)
tavi

Post by tavi »

I would say yes - if you're building the kitchen from scratch definitely try to include a mini-oven/grill.

I have 2 x sleep-two apartments, 150m walk from a village bristling with restaurants, cafes, etc. No dishwasher, no oven, dishwasher has never been mentioned, - lack of oven mentioned about 3 or 4 times in 6 years. Most people eat out every night.

My take is that the summer guests couldn't care less (last week's guests used it to warm their croissants only).

However, those staying 2 weeks or more (especially in the cooler months) use it. So this last winter I installed a DeLonghi 20 L mini-oven with a pizza bulge, as an experiment - the French couple who stayed for the whole of Feb much appreciated it. And I just took a month long September booking which was dependent on there being an oven.

My kitchenettes are set up:

two ring ceramic hob
microwave
toaster
coffee percolator
sandwich grill
juicer
hand blender
and now mini-ovens

:)
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

SarahV wrote:
kevsboredagain wrote:I also have a combi-microwave/oven that you don't want us to suggest. It's been used for 5 years in a rental property with no problems. I provide a laminated sheet with basic instructions and an online video to stop people microwaving stuff for 40 minutes.
:lol: perhaps it's just me then! How long are your lets? I'm wondering if people will bother to read instructions/ watch video for a 2 night stay. do you think people actually use the oven or does it just make the rental seem more attractive?
I do love mine and it would save space but concerned people are more likely to ruin their food when they have no back up.
Definitely not just you. I set fire to a pizza when I first tried to use the convection feature. The instructions now on the wall inform guests what symbol to look and that seems to have prevented any further accidents. I reckon only a few watch the video but I think many use the oven, even if only for a pizza like myself.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

How about a table top oven? They are about the size of a microwave and you can get them with a fan assisted oven and two rings on top.

Places like Lakeland and Scott's of stow sell them. You can look on line.
You need to be sure that the 2 rings are independent of the oven so it isn't an "either or" option as that takes away the use of them.

The fan assisted oven is a must as well. It is possible to cook a reasonable meal as you can use 2 shelves and the rings.

We have an Aga style cooker in our cottage that is wonderful, but takes time to warm up. We added the table top electric oven some years ago, so if someone wants to cook something that needs high heat for a short period of time, it is great (and much cheaper for us that Bessie who burns 11 litres of oil per hour!)
tavi

Post by tavi »

Mine is this one - table/counter top - good for two people, it's basic but big enough for a 30cm pizza as it has a bulge at the back! Not for gourmet cooking but useful. I would love to find something like it which could be built in, or at least wall mounted for a more streamlined look. Yes fan assisted would be good - mine isn't. Cost about €100 here.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-EO120 ... B000GB8XKC
SarahV

Post by SarahV »

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Some sort of oven it is then! Glad I asked :)