Joint bank account demands...

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Joint bank account demands...

Post by Sam V »

My husband and I have two joint bank accounts with a well known online bank, we are set up not to receive paper statements, etc.

I'm the one that manages all our finances, etc., while he provides a large loaf.

The bank have from time to time reminded us that he has not registered any log in details. I've ignored this as he's simply not interested and I can log in for him with my details if he ever (rarely) needs to look at anything.

I've today had a letter from the bank telling me my 'joint party' hasn't registered and he now has to by 30 August or they will assume he prefers not to view online and as a result they will have to start sending us BOTH paper statements even though I've requested them not to send me any! Alternatively, my husband will have to register online and log in at least once every 60 days, which for us actually means I'll have to register for him and log in for him every 60 days!

It never gets easier does it?!
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I wonder which of these is going to be harder to do:

Creating a dummy login and using it every 60 days
OR
Switching to another bank

ooops, sorry about the accidental slur on your (dummy) husband :oops:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

One of the banks we bank with actually withdrew my debit card (OH has one of his own as this is a joint account) because I wasn't using it enough!!! :shock:

Got it sorted by going in and speaking to a real person - I now have to remember to use it at least once every 6 months, but this is the account we use for occasional large expenditure items, not every week shopping! :roll:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Just had exactly the same Sam - hubby never logs in so I had to get him to do so... when we tried it wouldn't let him in as he had not got the security gizmo so we had to ring up to get one! Probably the same bank!

Which is nothing compared with the hoops they recently made us jump through to prove our identity and address. Simple task in UK, almost impossible in a country where there is no mail delivery. Plus my ID is in my maiden name and the account at the bank in question is in my married name. Nightmare to sort out which eventually only got resolved when they agreed to pay a solicitor to produce a letter verifying our existence and our address. Been with them 20 years...
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

HSBC...or all the others as well?

So after 22 years, he'll have to DIH...I doubt it...that's another log in for me too, then....
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Zingara wrote:HSBC...or all the others as well?.
Well, one of theirs!

They once blocked the OH because he did not ask me to leave the room before answering security questions ON A JOINT ACCOUNT!!
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

Zingara

Post by Zingara »

First Direct...the first on-line bank, I think...

I'll have to be as quiet as a mouse then, answering the security questions...I'll dig the letter out (which he's not yet read) to choose the most manageable option (for me) to get this done...
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Zingara wrote:First Direct...the first on-line bank, I think...

I'll have to be as quiet as a mouse then, answering the security questions...I'll dig the letter out (which he's not yet read) to choose the most manageable option (for me) to get this done...
Yes, that bank! Well, seems our lifestyles are pretty similar when it comes to looking after the money! I talked to him about it last week. He still hasn't changed the address on his driving licence since we moved six years ago, so on a fruitless mission to try and get him to set up an online access. He doesn't see the issue with us getting two sets on bank statements every month, that'll be four as we have two joint accounts. Remember the fuss they made to save paper and money producing and posting statements?! I swear we're slowly heading backwards with so much in soviet these days, like not being able to get a doctor to visit your sick child but have to take them to the surgery feeling poorly!

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

Zingara

Post by Zingara »

The power(s) behind the throne, eh...?

All our utilities, banking, savings (Hah!!) accounts are on-line...I realised a while ago that, should something happen to me, OH wouldn't have a clue where to start. I now have clearly labelled files, with sub-dividers for each 'company' showing all log-in details, contact numbers, pass-codes etc on the sub-divider...totally ill-advised, I'm sure, but they're not easy to find.

I've shown him where they are, and told the solicitor who holds our wills, in case OH should forget...
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Zingara, that's something I've been meaning to do! He doesn't have a clue! If anything happened to me he doesn't even know how to manage our villa and its bookings. Just says 'you have an easy life'

pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

Sam V wrote:Zingara, that's something I've been meaning to do! He doesn't have a clue! If anything happened to me he doesn't even know how to manage our villa and its bookings. Just says 'you have an easy life'
And another one! And who dares say wonen can't rule the world! :roll:

Where would they be without us :shock:

Now ducking behind sofa with hard hat on :lol:

NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

No problems with UK banking, but in Cyprus it's a different story...

To top up the account during our visits we withdraw Euros from UK rental account via Cyprus ATM.

In the bank I hand over cash and card, saying we'd like to top up the account, (usually female) clerk invariably hands the confirmation slip to hubby who makes a point of handing it over for me to sign (knowing how much the bank's sexism annoys).

Getting bank cards was a struggle... PINs sent by post, despite the fact we told them we didn't receive any mail (old postman wouldn't deliver to English names). After a week you can report non-receipt to enable the bank to reissue PIN request - this time to branch. By the time they and the cards have arrived there we've normally departed!

And as the bank only issued cards for a year, we used to have to repeat this rigmarole endlessly. Fortunately now things are better, but like PW in Polemi we have found that if we don't use our cards every 6 months we will not be reissued with a new one on expiry. You don't find that out that until...
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

pepsipuss wrote:
Sam V wrote:Zingara, that's something I've been meaning to do! He doesn't have a clue! If anything happened to me he doesn't even know how to manage our villa and its bookings. Just says 'you have an easy life'
And another one! And who dares say wonen can't rule the world! :roll:

Where would they be without us :shock:

Now ducking behind sofa with hard hat on :lol:
Well, we now have T May as PM, next, fingers crossed for Clinton, there's no stopping us!

Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Hubby has just learnt to use our online banking. He really struggled as the friend he needed to transfer money to missed a digit off the account number and a wrong digit on the sort code. So not his fault, but there's obviously someone else just like him.
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

Sorry lads, you're coming in for some stick today...OH has just come to the office to get me to print off the boarding passes for tomorrow morning's flights (he likes to be IC tickets, passports, etc (on the day)...fine by me). I explained I'd put them in the folder , with the passports, in his laptop case...

Ah, says he, "I might have just torn those up"...not having read them, thinking they were from our last trip... :shock: