Interactive Google Maps

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
NeatandPicky

Interactive Google Maps

Post by NeatandPicky »

Have just followed the instructions from PMP to create an interactive Google map for the website.
Link https://www.promotemyplace.com/blog/how ... ur-website

I find their suggestions most helpful for developing my site.

Hopefully this will be useful to our guests, but also help with SEO and traffic.

I wasn't very happy with the complete map as it was quite zoomed out, so all the pins were on top of each other, but I discovered I could copy and delete pins to make different versions. A map containing only nearby pins is by default more closely zoomed in.
Last edited by NeatandPicky on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmg

Post by mmg »

Thanks NeatandPicky, I'll give that a go.

Could you use your property/website name as the title of the map, any competitor that uses your map will then be advertising for you.
kevsboredagain

Re: Interactive Google Maps

Post by kevsboredagain »

NeatandPicky wrote: I wasn't very happy with the complete map as it was quite zoomed out, so all the pins were on top of each other,
You should just be able to zoom it to the level you want and then go get the embed link. The link also contains the zoom level.
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

kevsboredagain wrote: You should just be able to zoom it to the level you want and then go get the embed link. The link also contains the zoom level.
Thanks Kev - I know it used to work like this as I found posts about it, but from what I've read (and looking at the code) Google Maps has changed.
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

mmg wrote: Could you use your property/website name as the title of the map, any competitor that uses your map will then be advertising for you.
Thanks mmg - I have done that.
Last edited by NeatandPicky on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

NeatandPicky wrote:
kevsboredagain wrote: You should just be able to zoom it to the level you want and then go get the embed link. The link also contains the zoom level.
Thanks Kev - I know it used to work like this as I found posts about it, but from what I've read (and looking at the code) Google Maps has changed.
Embedded links for 2 different zoom levels. 15 and 13

https://www.google.ch/maps/@46.9788503, ... ,15z?hl=en

https://www.google.ch/maps/@46.9788503, ... ,13z?hl=en

What part has changed in Google maps? I'll try it later with my own custom map which I've been using for the last 8 years.
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

I'm using My Maps, not classic. There is no z=... part to the code.

Just found a solution: https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... 8yBng5FAAJ

It seems I can add the zoom level code onto that generated automatically to get the zoom I want.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

NeatandPicky wrote:I'm using My Maps, not classic. There is no z=... part to the code.

Just found a solution: https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... 8yBng5FAAJ

It seems I can add the zoom level code onto that generated automatically to get the zoom I want.
I see what you mean. I read that feature was only added about 2 years ago for my maps. I must admit I only embed a standard map where zoom can be controlled and street view into my websites but send the custom map, which I keep private, to guests as part of the information they receive prior to arrival. I tell them to zoom and pan around to find the key features and hadn't noticed there was no zoom level included.
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

Thanks Kev. That's what I love about this forum. Everyone is so willing to help and share.

I tweaked my largest map by adding code for zoom level and adjusting the latitude/longitude of the centre until I'm happy with it. Would have been much easier if I could have done it the old way.
NeatandPicky

Google My Maps - setting default zoom and centre

Post by NeatandPicky »

Answering my own question, I have now found an easier way that doesn't involve messing with the code:

When you're happy with the map zoom and centre, in the legend (with the red top) go to the map description > Edit > go to the top 3 dots > Set default view