water quality

For anything to do with the garden and pool
teapot

Post by teapot »

Bassman wrote:
teapot wrote:
Bassman wrote:I normally get algae problems when the pool is not used much, im guessing its because the water circulates better when in use. I admit i only use strips and apart from the odd problem with algae my water quality is really good. I also sealed the joint between the pool & margelle with pool mastic a couple of years back and that seemed to help.
That photo of the two kids swimming shows your water quality isn't really good, sorry.
The cameras is not, but i stand by what i said no apology necessary.
That's kind of you Bassman, it wasn't meant as a pop, more as an observation as I know you have had that picture on your site for a few years but it may have just been taken when you needed it and not when the pool was at it's best. maybe you should take a new one when it's nice and clear.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
teapot

Post by teapot »

Zorba wrote:
teapot wrote: HTH is German from Brenntag the chemical giant and it's just a copper algaecide same as anyone elses copper algaecide.
Maybe yours is, but I have just bought another 3 litre can today of HTH total Blackshock . The stuff is made in Ambrose France.
There is more to it than just copper sulplate. Their telephone number is 0247234300. I am sure they would welcome you putting them straight.
I used to have a car made in Sunderland, by Nissan spose that was British? Arch/Brenntag is a huge chemical company who know it's far smarter to manufacture close by where you are likely to sell especially in a country that blockades it's ports every other month.

Yes there is more to it than just copper sulphate, there is quaternary ammonium benzylalkyl alkyldimethyl, chlorides, or bog standard cheap algaecide too.

It's the copper thats doing the work as the chlorine will be used up a bit quicker trying to oxidise out the quats.

They also have a place near me at the start of the Blackwall tunnel and unlike other pool engineers I like to know exactly what I am adding so I can pass on the information to those who do listen.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... ktKifW0FMw
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
COYS

Post by COYS »

Interesting (& polarizing!) debate & I'm sorry for thread creeping but I've been looking into a PPO course for some time in lieu of far too distant future plans. More for personal advancement than a pro venture but can't settle on a good starting point. Any ideas from those that already have?
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

COYS wrote:Interesting (& polarizing!) debate & I'm sorry for thread creeping but I've been looking into a PPO course for some time in lieu of far too distant future plans. More for personal advancement than a pro venture but can't settle on a good starting point. Any ideas from those that already have?
I hope I am not being particularly dense but what is PPO ?
Here is a link to acronyms, but cant readliy see which would be appropriate.
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/PPO
What would Plato do ?
COYS

Post by COYS »

bornintheuk wrote:
COYS wrote:Interesting (& polarizing!) debate & I'm sorry for thread creeping but I've been looking into a PPO course for some time in lieu of far too distant future plans. More for personal advancement than a pro venture but can't settle on a good starting point. Any ideas from those that already have?
Apologies, it may just be one of my own - I just condensed Pool Plant Operation (operative, operator etc) as this was the field I was led towards when enquiring. Still not sure if thats where I should start hence my query.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

COYS wrote:
bornintheuk wrote:
Apologies, it may just be one of my own - I just condensed Pool Plant Operation (operative, operator etc) as this was the field I was led towards when enquiring. Still not sure if thats where I should start hence my query.
OK, as long as its not #32 and #36 in the list :?
What would Plato do ?
COYS

Post by COYS »

bornintheuk wrote:
COYS wrote:
bornintheuk wrote: I hope I am not being particularly dense but what is PPO ?
OK, as long as its not #32 and #36 in the list :?
Good shout. I get far too close to #36 on occasion, but no - they were definitely not my intended meaning. Maybe I'll stick to writing in full & proper English from now on!
teapot

Post by teapot »

You can learn some interesting things on the PPO or similar courses so not a bad idea but be careful as some of what they teach is wrong (could be was wrong) it's been a while since I spent my money on such things and I was amazed that the really good stuff was not widely understood by those teaching it! Sure they can rattle off impressive sounding stats and regs but that's just parrot fashion, they didn't understand the real issues.
COYS

Post by COYS »

teapot wrote:You can learn some interesting things on the PPO or similar courses so not a bad idea but be careful as some of what they teach is wrong (could be was wrong) it's been a while since I spent my money on such things and I was amazed that the really good stuff was not widely understood by those teaching it! Sure they can rattle off impressive sounding stats and regs but that's just parrot fashion, they didn't understand the real issues.
Yes, that was my one reservation. UK based courses seem to be (understandably) very public baths focused & therefore indoors. Mainly local authorities ensuring pool staff are stamped but I think I'll take one anyway. Basics can't hurt but I'm sure, like most things, nothing beats experience.
brendan

Post by brendan »

http://poolstore.co.uk/product/testing/ ... c-test-kit

We bought one of these a few years ago and OH swears by it
teapot

Post by teapot »

Unfortunately the exact micro wasn't quite as good as it could have been and pricey compared to other units. One of the problems was the black case could rapidly heat the small water sample so readings could vary. I had this discussion with Lea (the MD) many times. the newest version she now produces is better (I Dip) but I prefer units you don't dunk as there could always be issues with leakage as many Scuba users found out.

I have trouble getting people to spend half that on a reasonable tester but for the similar amount there are better units still like the Primelab 1.0 way more accurate.