Increase or decrease in bookings since the Brexit result?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
annafern

Increase or decrease in bookings since the Brexit result?

Post by annafern »

The media is reporting of an increase in UK holiday bookings since the Brexit result but is anyone actually seeing a positive change in bookings?
www.bluelagoon.co.uk www.uniqueholidaycottages.co.uk
I own two websites - Blue Lagoon which I use to market my own holiday cottages. I also own Unique Holiday Cottages - a directory of luxury holiday lets in England and Wales.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

No different but then we are booked for the summer except for the Bank Holiday week - still :( So it's difficult to tell.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Not a single UK enquiry since the £ dropped to a 31 year low. I'll be turning my advertising away from the little island over there and more towards Europe.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Kev, I was in the middle of negotiating a booking when the Brexit result came in. She changed her mind, and blamed me for messing up the dates :? . I've no idea if she went anywhere else. If she'd paid her money as agreed on the Wednesday instead of delaying until Friday, she wouldn't have been affected by any currency changes. I deviated towards Euro guests during the credit crunch in 2008, and previous falls in the value of the pound. The pound is still higher than it was in 2008, it is a 31 year low against the dollar as the Euro didn't exist back then. but perhaps there are other factors in play. Terror attacks, border chaos, etc etc are all playing a part. Again, no enquiries at all from the UK since Brexit.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

All time record high of enquiries since Brexit to move to France to rent whilst on a property search.
Just joking, really !
What would Plato do ?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

kevsboredagain wrote:Not a single UK enquiry since the £ dropped to a 31 year low. I'll be turning my advertising away from the little island over there and more towards Europe.
... and 2 hours after I posted that comes a Book Now from the UK on HA, complete with greedy service fee.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

:D nice.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I've had a run of UK pre-reservations for next year since Brexit - usually get a few at this time of year, but not quite as many as this.

No, I don't understand it either.
Essar

Post by Essar »

kevsboredagain wrote:
kevsboredagain wrote:Not a single UK enquiry since the £ dropped to a 31 year low. I'll be turning my advertising away from the little island over there and more towards Europe.
... and 2 hours after I posted that comes a Book Now from the UK on HA, complete with greedy service fee.
'kin'ell Kev - I am starting to get a little fed up with your constant moaning and belittling of those of us who are still on this "little" island" and voted to leave the EU. I think the discussion on the listing sites service and booking fees must now have run it's course - what more can be said that has not been repeatedly said a thousand times already - get over it and move on, looking back and chewing the subjects to death is not going to change anything.

Oh, and my enquiries have gone up since brexit, not much but noticeable, bookings slightly for the autumn.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I think bookings probably are different this year, but then I think they can be different every year. This time it is likely because of more serious and complex matters than merely the exchange rate.
After all, we get more € and $ than a £ and exchange rates have fluctuated before, so that won't stop a determined Brit from having the holiday that he wants. It is a little disappointing that the rates are not at their best, but hey ho with the stock market!

We have had all day reporting of problems getting to Dover, horrendous events in France, Germany and then there is Turkey to consider.

Personally, I think holiday bookings are more influenced by the British weather than the exchange rate! But seriously, it is a behaviour affected by multiple issues - not all of which have been mentioned so far, together with a large heaped spoon of luck.

After all, it is a very competitive market out there.

(Saying that, bookings have been late, as usual this year, but I am not complaining :) )
CSE

Post by CSE »

Essar wrote:
'kin'ell Kev - I am starting to get a little fed up with your constant moaning and belittling of those of us who are still on this "little" island" and voted to leave the EU. I think the discussion on the listing sites service and booking fees must now have run it's course - what more can be said that has not been repeatedly said a thousand times already - get over it and move on, looking back and chewing the subjects to death is not going to change anything.

Oh, and my enquiries have gone up since brexit, not much but noticeable, bookings slightly for the autumn.
Here here, although We could not vote in this. Siad this many times on the subject thread, cannot understand this moaning The result is in, now we have to get on with life. We cannot change things.
Found this article via social media.
http://thebackbencher.co.uk/catalan-ind ... ern-spain/
Bigger issue to the world than Brexit?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Kevsboredagain wrote
Not a single UK enquiry since the £ dropped to a 31 year low. I'll be turning my advertising away from the little island over there and more towards Europe.
It's only been 5 weeks since the vote. Is that not a little hasty to change your marketing strategy? :shock: :shock: :shock:
COYS

Post by COYS »

Seems plenty have just left it late this year, so many are going to be disappointed.
Brexit? who knows? far too much media manipulation going on there, but it is what it is so best just get on with it.
Greece & the Islands have endured far worse over the last few years, large VAT hikes have pushed up the cost of everything regardless of currency fluctuations BUT people still come from all over the world & mostly from the 'little island' :roll:
Events in Turkey, Egypt etc have definitely pushed numbers back this way & so it seems that a few pence either way on exchange rates isn't as big a factor as the doom mongers suggest.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

zebedee wrote:
It's only been 5 weeks since the vote. Is that not a little hasty to change your marketing strategy? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Not at all. I expect it to get much worse so why wait?
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I am not seeing any particular changes. 6 international enquiries for my cottage since Brexit ( not counting the 2 late August weeks which sold close to the time to domestic guests). The pound goes down. The pound goes up. It is all a cycle anyway, favouring sterling or Euros or dollars. I have three bookings for 2017 and as I am fully booked until mid-Autumn this year + Christmas and New Year neither a rush or lack of enquiries is really possible. Most bookings come in 6 months to a year ahead.

I am feeling positive, unlike the remoaners who are keen to pin every bad thing on Brexit.. As is pointed out in this article, the pound was way over valued anyway. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... -bad-news/