Increase or decrease in bookings since the Brexit result?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

FelicityA wrote: As is pointed out in this article, the pound was way over valued anyway. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... -bad-news/
:roll:

http://newsthump.com/2016/07/22/brexite ... happening/

We are still in the EU and it will be at least 2 years or probably longer before the UK leaves. The only visible change we see as the public at the moment is the rate of the pound.

There are not even any figures released which include the impact of the vote on the economy so any articles, like the one recently published in the Express, that the economy is booming since Brexit is pure BS. The economy was doing very well and still was up until the end of June so it's easy to distort these facts and say Brexit had no effect. Investor convidence is now very low and banks and property development companies have already been hit hard but with the exit still years away it will also be a long time before a major decline in the economy occurs. Once it does, holidays will be one of the luxuries to suffer.

They still expect good growth for 2017 but 0.9% lower than if the Brexit vote had never happened. 1% off GDP is a reduction of £10 billion tax revenue for the government.

All economical models bar 1 predict a decline.

These are mathamatically modelled predicted of the ecomomy after leaving the EU, not after a vote.
Last edited by kevsboredagain on Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

No change here - had a few September bookings after the Brexit vote and since have had bookings for 2017 from repeat guests. Plus I've had so many last minute enquiries for August (fully booked) from British people so I'm not convinced that Brexit will have a huge effect on bookings.
Essar

Post by Essar »

We all new there would be an economic effect of the Brexit vote, even before it happened. However, the remoaners doomongering before the vote and their continued "talking down" the economy afterwards doesn't help anyone or anything. It's happened and it's going to continue to affect things, not just financial. Once the initial shock of the vote on those who totally got the result wrong has time to sink in - they also have to come to terms with the fact that the little islanders didn't fall for all their predictions - as far as I can see the world has not collapsed around our feet.

Kev quoting predictive statistics means nothing - all they are; are predictions. If you look back and checked all the predictions made by economists in the past 10-years and then looked at the actuals afterwards; how many got it correct, I bet very few. There are so many complications and issues that can affect all our lives; continually going over the past makes absolutely no difference to the now or the future.

I am happy Brexit happened and I look forward to the future with baited breath; the EU leaving negotiations will not be easy and maybe all that I want is not achievable. Either way it will be better that it is now. I don't see any future for the EU in it's present form, it has to change and reform or more will want out. Multi-state federalism is not achievable without major changes talking place. The EU may have a population of 550m but its place in the world is not as important as it could have been - the world economics is going past it very fast and I for one don't want to be stuck in the EU rut.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Essar wrote:
'kin'ell Kev - I am starting to get a little fed up with your constant moaning and belittling of those of us who are still on this "little" island" and voted to leave the EU.

Oh, and my enquiries have gone up since brexit, not much but noticeable, bookings slightly for the autumn.
"Those of you who have careers and livelihoods which will be turned upside down by Brexit please stop moaning, complain those whose lives are barely effected by the decision. "

I think the message is fairly clear and I appologise for my naive attempt to discuss the matter.
JanB

Post by JanB »

kevsboredagain wrote:
Essar wrote:
'kin'ell Kev - I am starting to get a little fed up with your constant moaning and belittling of those of us who are still on this "little" island" and voted to leave the EU.

Oh, and my enquiries have gone up since brexit, not much but noticeable, bookings slightly for the autumn.
"Those of you who have careers and livelihoods which will be turned upside down by Brexit please stop moaning, complain those whose lives are barely effected by the decision. "

I think the message is fairly clear and I appologise for my naive attempt to discuss the matter.
The thing which will most affect us ALL, is people talking things down which, in turn, affects confidence. Referring to the country I love in such derogatory terms is not discussing the matter, rather just boring on about your anger over Brexit.

i quite understand you are very worried but please do try to see things rather more positively, as many of the worst case scenarios will not happen and are down to rather dark predictions by those who wanted the UK to remain. Seems the scaremongering has upset quite a few people, so you are not alone.

It is encouraging that bookings seem to be better for some people, long may it continue.
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Being fully booked until end of September, I had nothing to sell this summer and haven't had for quite some time, so I was expecting a quiet period. It's a bit early for autumn bookings but they are starting to filter through. What has caught me on the hop are people booking for 2017. I never used to expect bookings until January for that year, especially being UK based, but I already have seven for 2017. I haven't even finished my pricing. :shock: People are so organised now, unlike me. :)
CSE

Post by CSE »

Please stop. You have said your peace on this forum enough times. We know where you stand.
If you really want to demonstrate about what may or may not happen then please do it on a political forum/twitter.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2169522
https://twitter.com/hashtag/bremain
https://www.quora.com/Were-Brexiteers-m ... p-them-win
http://www.pictaram.com/tag/bremain
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

Nemo, my 2017 bookings are up too, following the same pattern as yours. Like you, December and January are our normal mass enquiry times for 2017.
However, something new for us, is the amount of UK enquiries we are having for Summer 2017. This is unusual for us.
We were quite surprised because our guests are usually Scandinavian or French.
Annew

Post by Annew »

Nemo wrote: What has caught me on the hop are people booking for 2017. I never used to expect bookings until January for that year, especially being UK based, but I already have seven for 2017. I haven't even finished my pricing. :shock: People are so organised now, unlike me. :)
Me too Nemo!

My enquiries are up, but bookings remain static. I've had a lot of silly enquiries for next year (16 adults, 9 children and 4 dogs for my cottage that sleeps 10 with no pet policy) Plus ça change ..... :-D
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

fincafern wrote:Nemo, my 2017 bookings are up too ...
And so are mine and, likewise, it doesn't usually happen so early in the previous year. 99% of our visitors are from the UK, so it seems the prospect of Brexit doesn't seem to bother them.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

I wonder whether Brexit will affect the more expensive areas first? Friends in Chamonix are worried as the last time the pound dropped so low (2008) they had a terrible winter... basically even if people could afford the accommodation, they couldn't afford the ski pass, airport transfer costs, ski hire, etc. so they didn't come. Local friends who market to Brits (we don't) have also seen a drop off in summer rentals... perhaps people are saying, 'We'll give the (expensive) Alps a miss this year and head to Spain or Greece.' Hopefully I'm wrong, but who's to say in a year or two, those same people won't be saying, 'Spain's getting a bit expensive, let's stay at home.'
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I was booked up to end of 1st week of October. Have had one booking for 2nd week of Oct since Brexit...

1 or (possibly 2) scam enquiries!

I think I may get more overseas bookings for Apr - Oct next year if the value of pound stays down.
nuneatonmark

Post by nuneatonmark »

No huge difference but bookings appear to be stronger than last year.
Nuneaton Mark
Cas & Irene

Post by Cas & Irene »

We are now about 15% behind with the number of bookings from last year.
Meanly from UK guests, and also a drop of enquiries and bookings from USA guests.

But as we saw in the past, things can change very quickly in this business.
We are now try to make a list of small rental sites in the UK, Germany and Scandinavia. Maybe we can reach them easier than with the bulk sites?

Sites like HA and HL generates nothing anymore for us, so time to change the plan (again) 8)
Sail with the wind from today and count your blessings!
http://www.Bed-and-Breakfast-Barcelona.com
St. Katharine B&B-Hotel Boat in Barcelona!
Follow us on Twitter : @Yacht_Barcelona

Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/BedandBreakfastBoatBarcelona
cleanforum

Post by cleanforum »

I am expecting less bookings for next year in the current climate, Brexit/Terrorism/plunging GBP all not helping.....

..mmmm....Great! might actually get a summer holiday for the first time in 20 years!? :D