Direct enquiries: Handling the fear factor.

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Martha wrote:That's very well put. I have some of those but not all listed on my page. I used to have LMH and took it off for some reason, I wonder why? I think I'll put it back. Photos of work done is a really good idea - something that only an owner would have. I might adapt some of these if you don't mind?
I'm happy for anyone to use the ideas or even the text and improve on it. I'm not that great at putting stuff into words so I'm sure there's room for improvement.
russellt

Post by russellt »

Martha wrote:without putting them off completely
@kevsboredagain's approach is quite 'in your face', but hits the issue square-on. Maybe some finessing of the words required.

When I see "This is not a scam' -type messages, I immediately think of the double bluff. My mild paranoia kicking-in, for sure, :shock: but it's a bit like the 'Unsubscribe' button on emails - you know you are likely to be being subscribed into something else.

It's a fine balance. How far should we go, without resorting to some form of triple-lock, multi-factor authentication? :D .

At the end of the day, it's caveat emptor.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
Martha

Post by Martha »

I keep meaning to put together a blog post on this topic, to refer people to, should do that really.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

This is our Book with Confidence page: http://www.grillou.com/book-with-confidence.html

I've had it up for a couple of years now and it gets a surprising number of hits, including as a landing page :shock:

EDIT: I've edited this, a couple of weeks after I first posted it, to ask that people don't lift any of my writing on this (or any other) page - lots of you will know that I've had my copy used on more than one occasion without my agreement. Because words are my trade, for me that's the same as lifting a photograph. Thank you for understanding.
Last edited by French Cricket on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
russellt

Post by russellt »

French Cricket wrote:This is our Book with Confidence page:
+1
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

There's some really useful ideas on this thread thank you. Especially Martha....the idea of having a page on our website just hadn't occurred to me.

I have had articles written about me and we've appeared in a 'living abroad' magazine so googling does bring my details, and photo, up for anyone that searches.
We are also a legally registered villa.

I really like the idea of attacking the issue at the 1st enquiry; the simple idea of adding our landline number and address seems a simple enough step with a 'call me' message. Maybe a link to the 'about us' page on our website.

The worry is though that the email gets intercepted. Whilst I have info on the advert about calling me etc. very few do, and if they do, it is always when they're about to transfer the final balance.

Good thread.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Martha

Post by Martha »

It is a good discussion! Lots of ideas. FC, I like the idea of saying where you are from originally, that's a really good idea. There is so often some kind of loose connection that helps to reassure people - My granny lived in Blakeney :) - , and it helps with background.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
russellt

Post by russellt »

Martha wrote:It is a good discussion!
and timely.....

http://www.thelocal.es/20160726/police- ... -barcelona
The gang operated 237 scams, according to police, which involved publishing fake adverts for holiday rental apartments on various websites and asking for a sum of money to reserve the apartment.
.... now affecting both direct bookings and (by inference) listing site bookings.
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

Just thought I'd post my thanks to kevsboredagain, French Cricket, and everyone else on this thread. Just finalising my PMP site now (the OD people forced me do it!!) and these ideas and wordings are invaluable, and terrific ideas.

Excuse my paraphrasing when it finally gets published in the next week or so!!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Just as an aside; I noticed the other day that OD have put the joining date back on the site. They removed this some time ago As we joined in 2005 I always directed people to that date to show we were legit.

I don't know why they removed it but happy it's back

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

I had an enquiry on Sunday for two weeks next June. Booking form emailed that night and deposit promised for Monday. Fast forward to this afternoon and I get a phone call from Mr guest apologising that his wife was worried about transferring money to a stranger and could I talk to her.

She was very apologetic and I got the impression that her husband had put her on the spot by phoning me then thrusting the phone at her.

I completely understand why guests are worried and after putting her mind at rest I did explain that she could book via OD and pay commission to them in order to get their payment protection.

Strangely enough they decided to pay direct.
russellt

Post by russellt »

anya752000 wrote:after putting her mind at rest I did explain that she could book via OD and pay commission
I think we are going to see more of this as savvy guests seek to dodge the booking fee yet feel confident in paying to a 'stranger'.

How did you put her mind at ease? Anything specific, or just the comfort of human interaction, ie a chat?

Ironically, being able to offer the global site payment option, with inherent booking fees, probably added to the credibility of your direct booking option.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

russellt wrote:
How did you put her mind at ease? Anything specific, or just the comfort of human interaction, ie a chat?
Yes just a chat, she just wanted reassurance that I was a real person.
Cas & Irene

Post by Cas & Irene »

Sorry, posted in the wrong item.
Sail with the wind from today and count your blessings!
http://www.Bed-and-Breakfast-Barcelona.com
St. Katharine B&B-Hotel Boat in Barcelona!
Follow us on Twitter : @Yacht_Barcelona

Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/BedandBreakfastBoatBarcelona