Rental site commissions

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
LeeH

Rental site commissions

Post by LeeH »

First of all, I’d just like to say thanks to everyone on this forum. My wife and I joined a couple of months ago, and we visit every day or two to catch up, and it has proven invaluable!

So, after a few months of preparation, we’re just about ready to go live with the website for our first holiday let, and to then start taking bookings. The only thing that can possibly go wrong now is for the whole purchase of the apartment to fall through (! :D), but I’m not too worried about that. We exchange on Friday and complete next Friday. As soon as we complete we’ll make the website go live (we don’t want to do it before contracts are exchanged, because it’s not fair to potentially book someone in for a holiday break if there’s the remotest possibility it could fall through). We’re hoping to be ready for our first guests in just over a month (we’re using the four weeks between now and then to completely refurbish and refurnish).

So, website done (complete with booking system, etc) and the next thing is for us to decide which listing sites to advertise with. There’s obviously a lot going on with each of them, right now, but they seem to be a necessary evil.

I’ve been looking at which sites come up with our selection of search terms, and I’ve looked at their terms. Do these commission rates sound about right? Have I missed anything?

Sykes : 20% (+VAT) – ¼ of the rental fee seems like a huge commission.
Booking.com : 15%
HomeAway : 9%
FlipKey/Trip Advisor : 3%
Air BnB : 3%

Thanks, again – this is an amazing community!
I detest raisins, sultanas and other dried fruit, but you just try to keep me away from the mince pies!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I'm not in the UK so not relevant to me, but in addition to having a massive charge associated with their listing Sykes also have an utterly dismal reputation amongst people here from what I can tell. Where you list will depend to a certain extent on the type of property you have and what your target market is. I know it's an apartment and it *might* be somewhere near Scarborough but apart from that nada! :D
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Sykes is an agency, the others are listing sites; you need to decide which way you want to go!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hello
In Yorkshire, you might want to register on Yorkshire.com. No commission but a lot of traffic to your own website if you are happy to manage your own bookings.

Welcome to the site and good luck!
LeeH

Post by LeeH »

greenbarn wrote:Sykes is an agency, the others are listing sites; you need to decide which way you want to go!
I included Sykes as the only thing they were offering for their 20% was a listing on their site and for them to list on the other listing sites for us. No management of the apartment, just bookings, which makes their 20% (24% with VAT) seem particularly steep. It would save us some time creating multiple listings, but that's about it.
I detest raisins, sultanas and other dried fruit, but you just try to keep me away from the mince pies!
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Welcome to LMH LeeH! In the member's section you will find that Essar has kindly written a virtual thesis on the subject, detailing the relative charges made by the listing sites. Find it here viewtopic.php?t=25559
LeeH

Post by LeeH »

zebedee wrote:Hello
In Yorkshire, you might want to register on Yorkshire.com. No commission but a lot of traffic to your own website if you are happy to manage your own bookings.
Oh, I'll check them out - thanks!
zebedee wrote:Welcome to the site and good luck!
Thanks! I suspect I'll need some! :D
LeeH

Post by LeeH »

FelicityA wrote:Welcome to LMH LeeH! In the member's section you will find that Essar has kindly written a virtual thesis on the subject, detailing the relative charges made by the listing sites. Find it here viewtopic.php?t=25559
I just flicked through that, thanks. And wow! What a fantastic resource!
russellt

Re: Rental site commissions

Post by russellt »

LeeH wrote: FlipKey/Trip Advisor : 3%
Good luck with your new venture.

HL/TA commission is 3% + VAT. And of course, they may add ~13% to your price, which the guest pays. How you view that in terms of commission rates, market price, etc, is a source of endless discussion.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
donnylu

Post by donnylu »

Yes you've missed Essar's document.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

LeeH wrote:
greenbarn wrote:Sykes is an agency, the others are listing sites; you need to decide which way you want to go!
I included Sykes as the only thing they were offering for their 20% was a listing on their site and for them to list on the other listing sites for us. No management of the apartment, just bookings, which makes their 20% (24% with VAT) seem particularly steep. It would save us some time creating multiple listings, but that's about it.
That is what an agency normally does; agencies that actually manage the property are very few, and would charge a lot more than 20%. Sykes happens to be one of the worst examples of a large agency; they sell your property aggressively and undervalue it to achieve high occupancy rates. Many owners using Sykes have ended up with high occupancy consisting of many poor quality guests causing them trouble, and getting a low return for the work they put in.

There's some very useful information from LMH member Charles Cawley, who runs a small agency (not in your area) and is happy to share his experience for our benefit, and the benefit of the industry as a whole. To save searching for it, I've copied the sig from his posts with the links:
Helpful info. Please copy and put in web browser:
countryholidaylets.co.uk/about-us/landlords-homeowners-info-pack
Extra information:
holidayletsforsale.com/advice-cottage-owners-info-pack/
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

LeeH wrote:I included Sykes as the only thing they were offering for their 20% was a listing on their site and for them to list on the other listing sites for us. No management of the apartment, just bookings, which makes their 20% (24% with VAT) seem particularly steep. It would save us some time creating multiple listings, but that's about it.
An agency ALSO does all the dealing with guests, chasing of payments, managing reminders, booking forms, contracts, and correspondence.

I'm not saying it's good or bad value, but it's a lot more than just listing.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
LeeH

Post by LeeH »

e-richard wrote:An agency ALSO does all the dealing with guests, chasing of payments, managing reminders, booking forms, contracts, and correspondence.

I'm not saying it's good or bad value, but it's a lot more than just listing.
Ah, yes - makes sense.

We've decided against the agency route. 24% seems too high a price to pay for the services they offer.

But again, I'm struck by the helpfulness of this community! Thanks, Richard (and everyone!)