Financial Management Software

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Casscat

Financial Management Software

Post by Casscat »

Based on a comment on another thread (in Starting Out), and forgive me if this has been asked before, but can anyone recommend a good (and cheap) package for recording income and expenses, particularly when you have income from several sources and in two currencies. I am self employed in Spain and paid in euros, have holiday rental income in Spain paid in sterling and euros and also rental income from a UK investment property in sterling. I have stacks of papers building up everywhere and am technically challenged when it comes to things like Excel so I have not been able to devise a system for keeping tabs on all of this. I would like to have something to record all the info and attach scanned doc so I can just send the relevant bits to my Spanish and UK accountants as required. Any recommendations?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

There's the obvious Quicken but I also use YNAB for a while, which was good. I stopped tracking my finances like that after a few years as it wasn't helping me much.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I've never heard of either of them, so I shall look into both - thank you.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Sorry, I forgot that Quicken is no longer supported in the UK. My parents have used it for many years and have managed to stick with an older version.

There's also Microsoft Money
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I'm not in the UK, but what I'm after doesn't need to be sophisticated. I'm not running a payroll or anything.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I know I'm a computer geek and that's my main business, but seriously, for your needs (as I understand them), this is what I'd recommend:

** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Microsoft Money is no longer supported. I used it a hundred years ago I think for a short time! No personal experience of any of these in the link, but some may be worth exploring. http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... ps-1281754

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... nd-1136684

The second link is more about business use but mentions Money Manager as being suitable for home users. A few of us have signed up to Wave invoices and I inadvertently signed up to the accounting by Wave before pulling myself out of it!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

You can sign up to Wave accounting without linking to your online banking though.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

e-richard wrote:I know I'm a computer geek and that's my main business, but seriously, for your needs (as I understand them), this is what I'd recommend:

I need to scan and email documents to my accountants in Spain and the UK plus keeping records of everything. The mess I'm in at the moment comes from retaining mountains of random papers. I'd like to get everything logged - which could involve a paper spreadsheet of course - and all my documents scanned and organised so I can send information electronically to the various places I have to. Before I moved to Spain it was not an issue - I was on PAYE in the UK for my earnings, filed quarterly in Spain for my holiday rental and once a year in the UK for the finca as a FHL. It's a whole lot more complicated now that I am autónoma in Spain (quarterly returns), have Spanish holiday rental income (annual returns) and have UK investment income (annually reportable in Spain on a calendar year basis and on an April to April basis in the UK). I just need an electronic filing system so that I can pluck out the data I need for the various reporting lines.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Casscat wrote: The mess I'm in at the moment comes from retaining mountains of random papers. I'd like to get everything logged - which could involve a paper spreadsheet of course - and all my documents scanned and organised so I can send information electronically to the various places I have to.
For that I use a program called Paperport together with a multi page/double sided scanner. You can use it to scan and oragnise all your paperwork. When I was out of work I scanned absolutely everything and became 100% electronic apart from hard copies of things like birth certificates. I no longer have any paper files at all. When something comes in the post like a bill or important letter, I pay it, scan it and shred it. It's all in Dropbox and backed up in multiple places so I have access to absolutely everything at any time. It's surprising how little storage you actually need to do this.

I stopped logging all my bank transactions because it wasn't helping me much once I'd done it for a while. Instead, I just take a snapshot once a month of the totals and this tells me if I'm going up or down. If I want to see a bank statement or bill I can find it easily in my Dropbox folders.

It takes effort to get started but makes life so much easier later whe it's at your fingertips.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

I've been using VT Cashbook for years, downloaded free, I think it's still free. You can set up multiple accounts and there's a variety of business scenarios to choose from.

http://www.vtsoftware.co.uk/cashbook/index.htm
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Thanks Sam - I'll take a look at this :)