Compensation

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
CaliforniaDreaming

Compensation

Post by CaliforniaDreaming »

We recently had guests who arrived on Saturday and were joined by a R A T shortly after. I think they saw it run in through the pool doors. I immediately contacted the property manager who sent down a housekeeper with an ultrasonic plug. On Monday morning they contacted me to say they heard it again at 6.00am and were very distressed. The property manager sent down a pest control company who could find no evidence of one. The guests said there was definitely one there so a second company was deployed who did catch and kill it. This was about 18.00 on Monday evening. They are looking for compensation for the Saturday/Sunday/Monday. What if anything would you give?
Thank you in advance.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Whilst I appreciate that some people are very afraid of rats, you can run into a rat absolutely anywhere and you cannot be responsible for the existence of one solitary rat outside, any more than you could be responsible for a spider or a fly entering the house. These people are taking advantage of the situation and the most they could expect, having so quickly dealt with the problem, would be a very nominal gesture for the stress factor IMO. If there were an infestation I would take a different view. You dealt with the matter immediately and couldn't have done any more so, I would start with a small gesture (not necessarily monetary) just to show that you care and empathise with their distress and see how it goes. It doesn't warrant major compensation for 3 days IMO.
CaliforniaDreaming

Post by CaliforniaDreaming »

Thank you Bunny. That is kind of my feeling too. It was not preventable and it was dealt with as soon as possible.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

It was a random rat (so a random event) which you dealt with expertly....so I agree with bunny - no refund.

If they start kicking off ask them how you (they) could have dealt with the situation differently. Bet they can't come up with anything.

Dreadful isn't it, this compensation culture?

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Compensation? What do they mean, compensation? :shock:
They should be paying you - if they'd had the pool doors closed, it would never have come inside. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Besides, how else was Ratatouille supposed to get to the kitchen to prepare a gourmet meal for them???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joking aside, I agree with Bunny and Mouse - no compensation, just a "thanks for being so understanding" bunch of flowers/bottle of wine/box of choccies/whatever.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

Yes I agree with above posts. You handled it v well, 1 solitary rodent could appear anywhere.

People don't half try it on
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

gardenboy wrote:Yes I agree with above posts. You handled it v well, 1 solitary rodent could appear anywhere.

People don't half try it on
They certainly do!
Mind you I had guests last summer that had heard a mouse and saw some droppings and asked me if it was ok for them to buy a mousetrap to catch it. Lots of running commentary on how it was going and then photos of the trapped mouse, chocolate wins apparently. They were fabulous guests! :D
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Essar

Re: Compensation

Post by Essar »

CaliforniaDreaming wrote:...so a second company was deployed who did catch and kill it. This was about 18.00 on Monday evening. They are looking for compensation for the Saturday/Sunday/Monday.
So, the rat's family are looking for compo for the death of their family member? :wink: (who said context is everything?).

I agree with others - a goodwill gesture, certainly not 3-nights compensation - chancers.

Evidently, the world population of rats is roughly the same as humans and you are never further that 10-feet away from one (hidden of course, usually, in the sewers).
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Only on the internet could you get a Bunny, a Mouse and someone with a cat avatar advising you about a rat visit. We had a visit from a badger last summer. :-)
lester1meg

Post by lester1meg »

There is a story in Dingle about the Japanese tourists who took a taxi to the far end of the peninsula to go for an 8 hour walk. When the taxi driver got back they said they had not moved for 8 hours because of the giant rats. Further explaination lead to the fact that they had mistaken the sheep droppings for rat's droppings and therefore assumed there were giant rats in the area.
SarahV

Post by SarahV »

to be honest I'd be a bit freaked out if we were joined by a rat on holiday, I wouldn't be happy particularly if I felt there was anything around the property which I felt was encouraging rats and which should/could have been dealt with.
Having said that, if this was a one off, I don't think there's any more you could have reasonably have done under the circumstances. A gesture would be nice, a refund unnecessary. An amendment to T&Cs for the future maybe to clarify that refunds cannot be considered for events outside of your control ie acts of God (nature), as they say in the insurance industry.