How to Check Data Usage

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Casscat

How to Check Data Usage

Post by Casscat »

I have had a call from my property manager saying that there is no internet at the finca. I do not know if this is a general connectivity fault in my area (it's 3/4G mobile internet) or the last guests have exhausted my data allowance. Can I find this out via logging into the router? And if so how? I have phoned the company who supply my internet but they have not been able to tell me anything immediately and I need to advise my guests of the problem. If it is data then there will not be a new allowance until 1 September! On that basis I may have to drive over there with MY router and be without internet myself for a fortnight :(
russellt

Re: How to Check Data Usage

Post by russellt »

Casscat wrote:Can I find this out via logging into the router?
Most routers show Data Transmitted/Received in GB since the router was last rebooted. Of course all router interfaces are different, but login to your router and look under something like Internet Connection Configuration or Broadband config. You should see the number of days/hours/minutes it has been running since last re-boot, and the amount of data transmitted/received during that period.

The statistics won't directly tie-up exactly with what your ISP might say, but it will give you an indication of extreme over-use.

My ISP also gives me a page on my account which shows current month and previous months usage by application type and total. Quite useful to understand extreme usage.

Best advice: look at the incremental monthly cost of an unlimited service. One less thing to worry about or try to control.

(Not sure if installing a different router is going to solve your data problem, unless you are connecting it to a different service provider).

Another thing to consider is that there is a fault on the network. I recently discovered that the little box which connects our property to the internet was full of water!! It does happen. :?
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I don't have an 'account' with an ISP per se. I have a SIM provided via a third party so I had to go via them to find out about my data. They confirmed that the miserable gobshites at the finca prior to the current lovely guests had used up the entire 200Gb monthly data allowance in two weeks. I ended up taking my SIM over there and swapping it with the 'dead' one. Luckily my provider sold me a temporary SIM with 120Gb of data to use myself at home until 1 Sept when the allowance restores to 200Gb. I am going to post separately about how to prevent this happening again.