Dog poo!

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Tymawrfarm

Dog poo!

Post by Tymawrfarm »

Sorry about asking you to confront this unpleasant topic but we are now - finally - live (yea!) and are accepting dogs but not sure what to ask guests to do about their own dog's / dogs' poo. We are in a very rural area with rubbish collections every two weeks but not sure it should go in regular rubbish anyway. Any suggestions please?
Wannabe holiday-letter
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Is your holiday let in an area that is popular with dog walkers? If so, surely the local council have provided doggy poo bins at regular intervals.

What do local dog owners do with their dogs' poo? I can't believe you live in an area totally bereft of dogs? :shock: :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Congratulations on going live - wishing you many bookings and great guests!

It's perfectly okay to put dog poo into any bin - there's no legal requirement for it to only go into dog bins and it doesn't get treated differently to other household waste at the dump. The general advice is 'bag it and bin it' (Keep Britain Tidy, Forestry Commission, etc.), which would be a perfectly acceptable - and consistent - policy for you to adopt for your guests with dogs.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I think you mean your in-house bin?

We have a small separate one, with liner, by the shed for our own dog as I wouldn't want it to go in the kitchen bin.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

With any luck your guests and their dogs will be out and about much of the time, so it won't be a big problem.

Make sure you have your TCs very clear about there being no trace of the dog "inside or outside of the property" and leave a good supply of dog poo bags.
Most people bring their own bags, but just be on the safe side. They can then be knotted and put in your waste wheelie bin.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

I have a medium sized garden at my cottage and I have a number of signs saying please don't allow dogs to foul in the garden, just I case there are poo bags provided. please dispose of them in the poo bin outside the garden gate.

I regularly find dog poo in the garden and sometimes enough to fill a 2ltr plant pot! After rain the garden stinks of urine too.

I used to put out a full bag of poo bags, 100. the whole lot would disappear and I would still fill my 2ltr pot with the stuff from the garden. I only put out a small handful now, they rarely get used but often disappear!

Thinking about having a wooden sign made to put into the garden itself.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

I have a separate bin next to the outdoor waste and recycling bins that is labelled for dog poo (i got a nice sticker off ebay). When I collect the bins it goes into the main household waste but only just before it's due to be collected.

The main benefit is that if guests ignore the recycling instructions and put glass into the main rubbish I have to delve into the bag to retrieve and nobody wants to do that with dog poo in there. :shock: :shock:
farley

Post by farley »

Hi Anya
That's exactly what i used to do with my own dogs poo. Keeping the individually wrapped/bagged droppings in a separate bin means the main domestic waste bin smells less offensive.
Good tip:)