Holiday Lettings 'all cottages must be listed, not just 1or2

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
HoneypotCottages

Post by HoneypotCottages »

Looks like I missed some action!!!!

kevsboredagain....I am the owner and here I am coming forward to tell you you’re wrong and here’s my explanation why...

If you'd carried out your research before I started the thread about advertising on HL, I would accept your comments, however all you have done is to email me with an enquiry and because that cottage wasn't available, I have suggested 3 other cottages which are available. All 3 cottages I suggested...and all 18 cottages previously, were all advertised with HL.

In the past, because I have advertised all cottages, I do not feel I have been underhand by suggesting I have other cottages which are available. The other available cottages are no longer advertised on the HL site because HL will not let me advertise them. The reply you received (from me) would have been the reason why HL are not happy, if I had (in the past) emailed my response, had I been advertising just one or two cottages and had I then recommended another cottage which was not advertised on the HL site.

Since HL have forced my hand, I do not believe I have done anything different to what anybody else would have done under the circumstances. I am simply making the most of the unfortunate situation in the time I have before all cottages are no longer listed.

Are you suggesting that if you were in my position, you would act 'honourably' and not do the same..? Would you not feel a little put out that the company you have supported for years, increased their prices significantly and then changed the terms....when you've acted honourably from day 1 by advertising all cottages..?

I'm not sure if you were referring to me when you mentioned 'publicly cheating and wanting sympathy' but empathy is what I was looking for when I started the thread on LMH...not sympathy.

Thanks to those of you who that agreed it was inappropriate to publish details.

Andy
Andy Smith
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Thanks for the explanation but it's still a little unclear to me.

My understanding is as follows:

You used to list all 18 properties but then changed to just 4 because it was becoming expensive. You used these 4 as bait for the other 18, knowing it was against the terms but considered it justified because costs had gone up and HL had not noticed. Come time for renewal, you spoke to HL who then realised you were only listing 4 out of 18 properties, which is against their terms. Therefore they would not allow you to renew just 3 of them. This angered you even more so you continued to use the few properties listed as bait for the others, justifying it by the fact HL won't let you renew a limited number. This will continue until the end of the subscription term.

If I'm wrong then I've clearly totally misunderstood and I offer my applogies in advance.
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

kevs a happy bunny. Quote:

I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong
HoneypotCottages

Post by HoneypotCottages »

kevsboredagain wrote:Thanks for the explanation but it's still a little unclear to me.

My understanding is as follows:

You used to list all 18 properties but then changed to just 4 because it was becoming expensive. You used these 4 as bait for the other 18, knowing it was against the terms but considered it justified because costs had gone up and HL had not noticed. Come time for renewal, you spoke to HL who then realised you were only listing 4 out of 18 properties, which is against their terms. Therefore they would not allow you to renew just 3 of them. This angered you even more so you continued to use the few properties listed as bait for the others, justifying it by the fact HL won't let you renew a limited number. This will continue until the end of the subscription term.

If I'm wrong then I've clearly totally misunderstood and I offer my applogies in advance.
I had 18 cottages, 4 have been sold / moved or are being moved on, leaving me with 14 cottages. At no time did I reduce to 4. I did not use any as bait.

I would have renewed the majority however a couple are unsure of their future for one reason or another and so I wouldn't want to renew them until I know they're staying with me for sure.

Frustrated is more accurate than angered & once again, I'm not guilty of baiting until now...as previously explained.

I agree with one of your previous comments about it being a little unfair (or similar) that multiple properties are not offered a better rate.

Andy
Andy Smith
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Thanks Andy you've made it much clearer now. I can totally understand your frustration and HL are indeed being very unfair and inflexible. I was not in fact wrong in my understanding of what you are doing right now but at the same time I can see why you've been pressured into this situation.