HA Bashing?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Essar

Post by Essar »

I have to agree with you Kev on the point that there seems to be a lot of big site bashing posts; that drone on and on, one after the other. Whatever we say will not matter a jot. I must also say that it reminds me of you droning on and on about the effects of Brexit in post after post, but that's just my opinion. As you and I have both said - "you have to adapt".

I also have to agree with others that a lot of the newbies on here don't know much about the listing sites; so, these sort of posts do help them - therefore, we must put up with the repeative questions and help these people, I for one like to help as I know you do - we have both gotten a great deal form being LMH members.

I like sitting on the fence; it's a great view from up here.
:lol: 8)
Last edited by Essar on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

kevs bored again lol !

I tend to agree it is better to be positive and find new ways of doing things if the status quo is unpalatable.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I have to admit to being confused about where you're coming from at the moment, kev. You seem to be unhappy about almost everything you read on here.

Personally, I've long moved on from the HA stuff, but I still think it's important to keep up to date with the issues around it all, as it's my industry that's affected and so it will affect my colleagues and in particular my guests. So I'll always read something like the article that GB posted, for that reason.

But if I didn't want to or feel it was necessary, I simply wouldn't read the post and would scroll on past. Maybe it's time you did the same?
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I put my hands up to being one of the 'bashers'. But, are you suggesting Kev, that we say nothing and let the listing sites believe that we are all blissfully happy and ignorant of all their shenanigans? What would be the point of that? They may ignore us, but equally, silence gets you nowhere. Surely it is better that they are made aware of our continued dissatisfaction?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

French Cricket wrote:I have to admit to being confused about where you're coming from at the moment, kev. You seem to be unhappy about almost everything you read on here.
As I explained earlier, it's the one sided and often flawed arguements that concern me.

I too was initially shocked about apparently being penalised if I reject bookings. It's an understandable first reaction. My listing will go down if I don't accept silly requests. OMG how dare they!

Then I actaully thought about it. Every single listing on that site is subject to the same algorithm. The complaint is flawed because it assumes no one else is getting silly enquiries just me. Everyone is effected in a similar fashion. No one is targeting just your listing. Of course there will be some variation in the ratio of silly enquiries but you can limit that by the way your advert is written to some degree.

It's really a non issue and even one you can take advantage of. Just give a silly quote to silly requests and don't get penalised. If some thought went into the subject rather than knee jerk moaning then perhaps we could gain something.

As for the reason the such an algorithm is being used, I'm sure most of you haven't even thought of that one or how it might actually be benefitting your business.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

kevsboredagain wrote:Just give a silly quote to silly requests and don't get penalised. If some thought went into the subject rather than knee jerk moaning then perhaps we could gain something.
I had a stupid enquiry today actually using the site to try to sell me something. It's the annoyance of wasting my time having to responds to such dross to avoid being penalised. Dare I say 'in the old days', you could have just completely ignored stupid enquiries. That to me is not progress. Oh dear, I'm droning on again.... :wink:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

kevsboredagain wrote:Many owners do not care about the experience or security of the guest but just want things done the way they've always been done in the past.

Enquiries through these sites are going down, scammers are ruining our business but no one wants to change. No one wants to budge from the good old methods they are used to. Bank transfers, payments months in advance, handling all communications directly. You're clinging on to the past and your voices will fade away along with your businesses. I don't like many of the changes either but would rather invest energy in looking for alternatives rather than constant bashing of these sites.

Finding new ways of running our business is the greatest power of this forum. Constant listing site bashing solves and gains nothing.
Sweeping statements, lol! I doubt that many here are actually clinging on to the past, least of all me, but they may well be struggling to keep up with the dramatic changes. I remain interested in OD and its owner HA as one of my subscriptions does not run out until October 2017, so you'd better switch off from anything I contribute to until then! :lol:

Just because the listing sites are trying to make the business go away from direct contact doesn't make it the best experience for the customer. As a UK property owner there's no doubt I have a different view of the industry to those dealing with more foreign guests, currency transactions etc. Social media is a massive growth industry and that's where I put my energies into with great success.

I don't particularly see it as listing site bashing either, it's a discussion about how the sites work, the many, many problems they throw up that need workarounds and I have no doubt they are useful to many, many members.

Personally, the big listing sites don't have a stranglehold on my business at all, but I'll always be interested in anything others have to say on the subject.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

Nemo wrote:
kevsboredagain wrote:Many owners do not care about the experience or security of the guest but just want things done the way they've always been done in the past.

Enquiries through these sites are going down, scammers are ruining our business but no one wants to change. No one wants to budge from the good old methods they are used to. Bank transfers, payments months in advance, handling all communications directly. You're clinging on to the past and your voices will fade away along with your businesses. I don't like many of the changes either but would rather invest energy in looking for alternatives rather than constant bashing of these sites.

Finding new ways of running our business is the greatest power of this forum. Constant listing site bashing solves and gains nothing.
Sweeping statements, lol! I doubt that many here are actually clinging on to the past, least of all me, but they may well be struggling to keep up with the dramatic changes. I remain interested in OD and its owner HA as one of my subscriptions does not run out until October 2017, so you'd better switch off from anything I contribute to until then! :lol:

Just because the listing sites are trying to make the business go away from direct contact doesn't make it the best experience for the customer. As a UK property owner there's no doubt I have a different view of the industry to those dealing with more foreign guests, currency transactions etc. Social media is a massive growth industry and that's where I put my energies into with great success.

I don't particularly see it as listing site bashing either, it's a discussion about how the sites work, the many, many problems they throw up that need workarounds and I have no doubt they are useful to many, many members.

Personally, the big listing sites don't have a stranglehold on my business at all, but I'll always be interested in anything others have to say on the subject.
+1 we are all moving on but we are all entitled to air our disappointment & frustration
COYS

Post by COYS »

kevsboredagain wrote: As for the reason the such an algorithm is being used, I'm sure most of you haven't even thought of that one or how it might actually be benefitting your business.
I'm all ears!
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have always been willing to move with the times. Back in 2005 when I first joined LMH, I remember the gasps of horror when I set up not only a website but also activated an online booking system, with Paypal payments.
The fact I have been advertising on HA and HL for 11 years should be enough to prove that I am there, I am not robbing anyone, and that I own a legitimate holiday rental. The goalposts should not be moved midway through a subscription, my payment terms should not be changed, and my guests should not be being charged an extra 8% because they booked in July and not in June.
COYS

Post by COYS »

HelenB wrote:I have always been willing to move with the times. Back in 2005 when I first joined LMH, I remember the gasps of horror when I set up not only a website but also activated an online booking system, with Paypal payments.
The fact I have been advertising on HA and HL for 11 years should be enough to prove that I am there, I am not robbing anyone, and that I own a legitimate holiday rental. The goalposts should not be moved midway through a subscription, my payment terms should not be changed, and my guests should not be being charged an extra 8% because they booked in July and not in June.
Touché
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
CSE

Post by CSE »

kevsboredagain wrote:
I'm not complaining about newcomers. It's the same old subset of old timers doing all the HA/HL bashing for nearly a year now. It's only been a week since this very subject was discussed, so why does it help to chew over it once again? Let's do some more bashing and pat each other on the back eh? This is what this forum is degenerating into. New, useful information for newcomers is becoming an hard to find.

Just a coincidence the thread is hosted by someone who also loves to slate web designers and invoke a lot of listing site hatred as a way of increasing revenue for his own business. I watched half his promotion video once and was rather disgusted at the lies he had to tell to make people buy his training.
Felt the same when you kept on about Brexit. Thankfully you saw the light. So hopefully someone(s) :roll: here can this stop going over and over this subject too. Thank you for speaking up.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Just a thought, but if usarentalbastardsdotcom are going to keep standing up waving their banners that say "Hello you moronic owners and potential guests (I won't use the word 'travellers' and I don't imagine they have the first idea what the connotations are) here's our latest great idea to screw you over based on our total ignorance of your business and knowing what's good for you and us" is it unrealistic to expect those owners who actually care about this sector of the hospitality business and their relationship with their guests to feel like lashing out? Or at the very least pointing out the failings that are blindingly obvious to all but usarentalbastardsdotcom and those who choose not to see?
It may be boring to some who have chosen a different path but for those who, naively perhaps, believe that there are still guests hoping to get in touch with owners who are offering rather more than a New American Rental Industry Standard Sleeping Box the desecration and rape of their industry is perhaps of some passing concern. Frustrating, even.
However, for my part I severed my relationships with Big Brother Rental Listing Corp (before they became usarentalbastardsdotcom) a couple of years ago when I could see how the wind was starting to blow, so I imagine I'm disqualified from daring to venture any viewpoint that might offend the supporters of their highly unethical and borderline illegal trading practices.
It is, after all, for the benefit of the industry they visualise (and not their investors), so let's all stop nitpicking and instead be enormously grateful for the opportunity they have bestowed upon us, and let us all kneel down and kiss ass.

So please, no more negative posts about usarentalbastardsdotcom, and can we all please return to important matters such as whether guests should expect more than one toilet roll in a post-Brexit economy?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Not one person willing to discuss why the topic of the original post may have been introduced and exactly how it effects the listing site as a whole. How does it effect the customer experience when looking for properties? Not one. Just ridicule and put me down for daring to try to see an issue from several angles. Even accuse me of kissing ass – how incredibly immature and narrow minded.

I'm not keen on HA either. I detest the service fee and huge price increases over the years but some of the decisions they make are made for a reason. Try to figure it out on your own. Perhaps you prefer a stagnant, totally useless site like the holidaylet where few owners even bother to reply?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Bunny wrote:I put my hands up to being one of the 'bashers'. But, are you suggesting Kev, that we say nothing and let the listing sites believe that we are all blissfully happy and ignorant of all their shenanigans? What would be the point of that? They may ignore us, but equally, silence gets you nowhere. Surely it is better that they are made aware of our continued dissatisfaction?
Not suggesting that at all but they are a company who does not listen much to their clients. We all know that. Only market forces will dictate their future, not moaning on a forum. We can either adapt and try to figure out a way to make the best of what they offer or we can go elsewhere and the company will decline. I believe the latter will happen eventually as people cut ties and look elsewhere.

For me it's still making me money so I'm having to put up with it. However, as I've said nearly every thing they do can be thought about carefully and often taken advantage of. This is far more productive than just moaning.

The topic of this thread was about accepting or rejecting enquiries and being penalised. As I've said, it does have a purpose and we can even take advatage of it by being cheaky and giving stupid quotes to ones we don't want. However, no one on LMH seems interested in such a discussion and prefers the constant bashing approach to the problem.