HA Bashing?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Exactly what I'm trying, unsuccessfully to say. I read these threads looking for ideas and ways forward but always end up annoyed at so many pointless statements and the same old crew sticking the knife in. I know I'm not the only one tiring off the lack of productive discussion.
What about starting a thread designed for people to put forward their tips on how to work around the issues?
I know I've suggested a few things over the months but they probably got lost in the threads. A dedicated thread would be easy for people to view the suggestions and use them.
Just a 'positive' thought :P

Mousie (adapting as best she but needing to keep abreast of the negative changes happening to others)
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Quiterio

Post by Quiterio »

Don't ask. Just go ahead and start it.

I couldn't agree more that positive thinking is what's required.

Think of the huge sea changes that have happened in the last few years by people using social media etc.

Do we really all have to be slaves to the big boys?

The secret is surely is to spread the word, exponentially like a chain letter, using this forum, blogs, facebook and whatever else, to the effect that:

a) the big sites are not working for the owners
b) the big sites are ripping off the customers
c) there are sites out there which we could all benefit from if we could get their ratings up on Google. And if that costs, how much does it cost?

Alternatively we could all just sit back and accept the status quo.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Nigel, Yes I'll be more than happy to share any useful insights.

Forgot to say- it's a part time course, around 6 hours of your time a week. Can be done at your own convenience, even in the middle of the night!
The best things in life are free
COYS

Post by COYS »

Quiterio wrote:Don't ask. Just go ahead and start it.

I couldn't agree more that positive thinking is what's required.

Think of the huge sea changes that have happened in the last few years by people using social media etc.

Do we really all have to be slaves to the big boys?

The secret is surely is to spread the word, exponentially like a chain letter, using this forum, blogs, facebook and whatever else, to the effect that:

a) the big sites are not working for the owners
b) the big sites are ripping off the customers
c) there are sites out there which we could all benefit from if we could get their ratings up on Google. And if that costs, how much does it cost?

Alternatively we could all just sit back and accept the status quo.
I agree. Succinctly put Quiterio.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

kevsboredagain wrote: I read these threads looking for ideas and ways forward but always end up annoyed at so many pointless statements and the same old crew sticking the knife in. I know I'm not the only one tiring off the lack of productive discussion.
But you chipped in on a thread about double booking and when I asked you to start a thread to put useful info into it, instead of passing judgement on those whose system allowed them to do it, you just said you'd retire out the thread. So I started the thread instead, which produced an incredible amount of interesting insights into people's system.

Don't moan about the content you can't find, instead start threads asking for what you need. There are lots of useful tips around, same as there has always been, but the listing site issue is a massive discussion that can never be covered in one topic. The users also never know when the next tip or workaround might come up, as all the users are on a journey themselves.

If positive thinking is required then why not start the process instead of moaning about others lack of it?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Nemo wrote:
kevsboredagain wrote: I read these threads looking for ideas and ways forward but always end up annoyed at so many pointless statements and the same old crew sticking the knife in. I know I'm not the only one tiring off the lack of productive discussion.
But you chipped in on a thread about double booking and when I asked you to start a thread to put useful info into it, instead of passing judgement on those whose system allowed them to do it, you just said you'd retire out the thread. So I started the thread instead, which produced an incredible amount of interesting insights into people's system.

Don't moan about the content you can't find, instead start threads asking for what you need. There are lots of useful tips around, same as there has always been, but the listing site issue is a massive discussion that can never be covered in one topic. The users also never know when the next tip or workaround might come up, as all the users are on a journey themselves.

If positive thinking is required then why not start the process instead of moaning about others lack of it?
I don’t like how you twist stories around Nemo. (must be a woman thing)In the original double booking thread, I was criticized heavily for bringing up the fact that it maybe could have been avoided. I saw no problem with discussing that issue within the same thread, in parallel with others offering advice on how to handle the situation. After being told it was inappropriate, I declared I would say no more. Indeed you suggested another thread could be started but I was not willing to stick my neck out once again on the same subject and start one. Hours later you started it yourself and I contributed, seeing that it was perhaps safe to do so.

You would have beaten me to it in any case. I’m not online all day long. I have a full time job, a new baby and a 2 year old, not to mention 2 rentals to deal with. My replies are often made via my phone.

I have not once complained about looking for and not finding information. I said I look for ideas, positive ideas and get tired of reading the same old pointless digs which are of no help to anyone. The last thread was about accepting/rejecting bookings. Was the subject even discussed? Did anyone think why they might do this? What about my suggestion to take advantage of it? Where is the discussion on these topics? OK, I admit I disrupted the thread somewhat but I still think the original subject is worth consideration and that was precisely my point.

I will start a thread on how to make the most of HA/HL but it will take a couple of days to write. It will be long and will draw much criticism from the die hards. It will say nothing that hasn't been said already but may be useful to more open minded newcomers.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Didn't know you had a new baby, Kev - congratulations :lol:
COYS

Post by COYS »

I'll stick my neck out one last time.
Regardless of original thread it rarely stays completely on track.
Regardless of 'time served' on LMH each & every person is entitled to an opinion & (within the rules) to express it. Longer membership does not give you the right to a louder voice!
Regardless of repetitive posts it is very simple to avoid subjects which are of no interest to you or those you feel have already been covered.
Regardless of your own expertise or opinion, each & every poster should be afforded the common courtesy of their own views without fear of being shouted down or derided. Differences of opinion are a fact of life & keyboard bullies are no more acceptable than real life ones.
Peace & love.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

kevsboredagain wrote: I don’t like how you twist stories around Nemo. (must be a woman thing)
Resorting to gender based personal insults. How sad is that. You've been here long enough not to need reminding of the rules. I won't lower myself to your level.
John Lamb

(must be a woman thing)

Post by John Lamb »

I simply can't believe the small font job above.

I have all the time in the world for the Devil's advocate- I guess that is how M. Kev sees himself. It is an important role: especially, perhaps, in a skewed group such as this.

The problem is that would-be logical, impartial Kev is unable to avoid appalling snide, offensive asides.

Someone must remove it. Where is the referee? This is red card offence.

Paolo, you're the editor!
Essar

Re: (must be a woman thing)

Post by Essar »

John Lamb wrote:I simply can't believe the small font job above.

I have all the time in the world for the Devil's advocate- I guess that is how M. Kev sees himself. It is an important role: especially, perhaps, in a skewed group such as this.

The problem is that would-be logical, impartial Kev is unable to avoid appalling snide, offensive asides.

Someone must remove it. Where is the referee? This is red card offence.

Paolo, you're the editor!
In Kev's defence and I don't always go along with his views - he did do the small font deliberately to entice exactly the responses that it has generated (tongue in cheek). I could be wrong but I don't believe I am... :roll:
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Casscat

Re: (must be a woman thing)

Post by Casscat »

Essar wrote: In Kev's defence and I don't always go along with his views - he did do the small font deliberately to entice exactly the responses that it has generated (tongue in cheek). I could be wrong but I don't believe I am... :roll:
No no and no. The *small font* comment was deliberate, demeaning, unnecessary, sexist and arrogant. There is no excuse. This is 2016 not 1973. You can disagree with someone without patronising them, patting them on the head and telling them it's clearly their female hormones causing them to behave 'irrationally' (i.e. expressing a view contrary to your own) which is, in one small font throwaway, exactly what was being conveyed. Smug, chauvinistic and wholly unacceptable.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

FFS even a tongue in cheek remarks gets people going.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I don't think there is any defence for that comment, small font or not, it shouldn't have been there.
If this is what this forum has become, I am not sure I want to post here any more.
:cry:
CSE

Post by CSE »

When the debate gets heated some throw personal insults.
We have been on the receiving end too.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.