crockery etc...

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Zur Alten Weinkelter

crockery etc...

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

the time has come for a re organisation for 2017

So a poll on how much crockery guests would expect in an apartment ?
it is good to have a second opinion from other owners
and this avoids getting the silly reviews “ there was no garlic press or colander or not enough pots what do guest want to cook ? a banquet ! as i try to include the basics but some guests can be so opinionated

I am replacing all the stone like denby stuff as they are starting to look a bit shabby with cutlery marks for the plain white IKEA 365/or from a hotel supplier “ depending on costs “ as it is easier to replace the odd piece if broken and replacing the builder style mugs with large cups and saucers in colour or floral “ I did try some Emma Bridgewater designs ! which looked great but expensive

but as my clientele is adults only and mainly couples it is nice to offer something stylish

i have 4 apartments 2 small studio apartments for 2 persons ( ideally for short lets 2-4 nights ) without a dishwasher

1 medium studio for 3 persons again without a dishwasher ( this usually lets for 4-6 nights ) and has 3 single beds so a triple this is popular with walkers or cyclists

and 1 large studio for 2 persons with a larger kitchen area and a dishwasher ( this normally lets for 7 nights but have had 2 10 night bookings this year

so what would you expect to find in a kitchenette if you were going to stay for an average of 4 nights
When it comes to wine, I tell people to invest in a good corkscrew. The best way to learn about wine is the drinking

The truth is the best German wine remains in Germany
So forget your memories of Blue Nun & Black Tower
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

I have a 'up to four adults' property, so six packs are great.

I have six plates, side plates, mugs, knives, forks, etc. I'm happy with IKEA stuff, cheap but still pretty nice looking.

Interestingly I once got a one-star review on Trip Advisor because the guest thought my cutlery was too bendy (I replaced it shortly afterwards). Amazing what you can get marked down for these days...
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

We've got a sleeps 4 with a standard 4 place settings dishwasher - but it's amazing how many of our guests prefer to wash up by hand. :shock: Working from experience at home, 2 of us generally take 2 cooked meals worth of dishes to fill the dishwasher, i.e. 2 days. Therefore mugs/cups and teaspoons especially are needed in greater than usual numbers. :lol:

So for a sleeps 4, 8 dinner plates, side plates, cereal/dessert bowls, 8 mugs, 2 salad bowls, 2 oval platters. We also have assorted small dishes (for nuts/olives etc), large glass bowl with 6 smaller dishes for fruit salad or whatever, a dozen or so extra mugs, small coffee cups/saucers, loads of glasses (wine, beer, tumblers, in both glass and plastic). Cutlery - well, you always need more than you think, especially if you use the dishwasher. For instance, cuppa first thing, teaspoon straight into dishwasher. Cuppa for breakfast, even if you re-use the same cup/mug, you still need another teaspoon. Then there's mid-morning, lunchtime, mid afternoon, .... I'm sure you get my drift? :lol: And the same goes for side/cake plates and knives - toast for breakfast, plate and knife into d/w. Sandwich or small salad for lunch, another plate and knife into d/w. Multiply by the maximum number of guests, and see if you still have enough crockery and cutlery for dinner, which may well be more than one course - they're on holiday, don't forget! :lol:

One of our first guests suggested that a larger saucepan would have been useful - they were having difficulty in cooking enough pasta for all of them without overfilling the existing pan. It simply hadn't occurred to me as it's not something we cook for our own meals. :oops:

Other than that, and last year's MasterChef in Training (not really :lol: ) who requested a garlic crusher, metal colander, metal spatula and I can't remember what else, everybody else has commented on how well-equipped the kitchen is. They've obviously previously stayed at the same places we did, where self catering meant "you've got a fridge, a toaster, a hot plate to heat water for tea/coffee so go out to eat" because even cooking an omelette is a challenge to your ingenuity. :roll: :lol: :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Zur Alten Weinkelter

thanks
i am making the shopping list now and on the next changeover look at what needs replacing i think on the plates/small bowls if the IKEA ones look ok double up on each apartment and buy a few extra for breakages and apart from the larger apartment which has a 4 ring hob there is only a 2 ring induction hob so if i look at the pot/saucepans next as i don't think i need as many as i have currently the more i have in the cupboards the more need re washing on changeover
When it comes to wine, I tell people to invest in a good corkscrew. The best way to learn about wine is the drinking

Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I sleep 5 and have place settings for 12 - to allow for a set to in the dishwasher. I also provide 18 mugs! They are basic IKEA sets so easy to replace when chipped or broken.
Margarita

Post by Margarita »

Agree, IKEA crockery is what we are using and I think it's nice to have the clean white, unpatterned stuff. Cheap to replace and likely that the range will be produced for years to come so easy to add extra bits if needed.
annedab

Post by annedab »

Having recently replaced our own crockery in Ikea, I would say that they are becoming more savvy (from a retail point of view) and whilst they continue to offer the plain white stuff, they do tend to slightly alter the sizes - not a major problem with the plates, but it is now impossible to find bowls of a size and shape to match our existing ones - great for us, as we decided to go for a whole new set of everything (and not in white - gasp). We have recently downsized so we had enough matching white crockery to stock the village house for guests, but it would definitely have been a problem if we were topping up two gites.
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

My cottage sleeps up to four + one infant + one small dog max, this has never happened yet. I have six of everything, 1x small pan, 1x medium pan and one large. A small and large frying pan and 12 drinking glasses of various sizes.

No one has complained, well I did get a complaint about the only frying pan being to small at the time, so I bought a second larger frying pan. 7 months later it doesn't look as though its been used yet!

On departure I always ask if there was everything they wanted and for the exception of the request for a larger frying pan they always say yes.

Ooops just thought of one other item, sorry I was asked for a casserole dish, sorted and it gets well used.

Everything mismatches on purpose, deliberately so, so that I don't have the nightmare of trying to match up things when things go missing or get broken, nobody has commented on this or complained. Kitchen stuff is a broad mixture of very old and new and everything in-between.

Even the tea, coffee, sugar and biscuit jars mismatch.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Just got a smashing deal from Greece :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Thanks everyone after a comparison between IKEA and my normal hotel supplier IKEA comes out a bit cheaper and the flexibility of buying extra single pieces for any breakages
so starting with double of everything for the crockery ( just the plates,side plates and bowls ) now moving on to replace the builder style mugs with large tea cups and saucers so as the IKEA 365+ range are plain white i can get some nice patterned ones to brighten things up a bit " dont really want to go down the designer ranges as i did in one apartment with the emma bridgewater as they ended up chipped