Free online learning - Future Learn

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
Nemo

Free online learning - Future Learn

Post by Nemo »

This little nugget was buried in a different thread and I thought worthy of a thread of its own. Thanks Giraffe :) Social media is not quite the right section for it as it covers such a wide range of subjects but not a cafe subject I felt.
I'm also undertaking a FREE online course, "Digital Marketing, Challenges and Insights". which starts in October over 4-6 weeks. You can participate online in your own time from anywhere in the world. It's run by Southampton University in conjunction with Future Learn. If anyone is interested, details can be found at www.futurelearn.com

I've had a look and can see there are lots of short free online courses, and Future Learn is a private company who works in conjunction with Open University. They pull in courses from 94 partners, including respected Universities, both UK and International, Institutions and professional bodies.

I was wondering how they can be free, but this is because if you want proof of your learning you need to buy a certificate for example, which costs from £39 upwards. You can also participate in a series of short courses, pulled together into one program with the cost indicated on each program. (Their spelling, not mine :wink: ) You can even study towards a degree should you fancy, just as Open University was set up to do. This company seems to tap into a desire to learn online for short periods on a range of different subjects.

So Giraffe mentioned a digital marketing course but there are many others to choose from including social media, the digital economy, finance, business and more.
e-richard

Re: Free online learning - Future Learn

Post by e-richard »

This sounds pretty good and glad you brought it out separately. I had missed it before.
Nemo wrote: if you want proof of your learning you need to buy a certificate for example, which costs from £39 upwards.
confucius a.k.a. e-richard wrote:Employees and job seekers need a certificate. The proof of learning for us entrpreneurs is in the increase in bookings.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Nemo

Re: Free online learning - Future Learn

Post by Nemo »

e-richard wrote:This sounds pretty good and glad you brought it out separately. I had missed it before.
Nemo wrote: if you want proof of your learning you need to buy a certificate for example, which costs from £39 upwards.
confucius a.k.a. e-richard wrote:Employees and job seekers need a certificate. The proof of learning for us entrpreneurs is in the increase in bookings.
Absolutely. I won't be buying certificates. :wink: Well unless I get the learning bug again (I've done loads of courses over the years which I've really enjoyed) and decide to keep pace with my youngest who's just starting his degree. :lol:
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

I'm sorry, I refuse to be educated by anyone who can't spell 'programme'.

Actually, I need all the help I can get with regards to marketing via social media, etc., so I'm off to have a look at that site.

Thanks go to Giraffe and Nemo.
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

There's also a lot of stuff (some free and some not-so-free) on iTunes University which I haven't got time to plough through yet, but you may want to take a look.

This is largely for he iPad people!!
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Thanks Nemo, I noticed the mention on the other thread and then forgot to follow up on it. I've bookmarked 3 likely looking courses.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Thanks Nemo for putting my entry in the correct thread. I'm a newbie and not fully "in gear" with the LMH website.

My sister-in-law put me on to Future Learn. She has done a number of their free online courses and recommends them. it's not obligatory to pay for any certificate.

Elsewhere on LMH I've said I will provide any relevant feedback from the Digital Marketing course to LMH. Of course, it would be great if anyone else here also joined the course. It's only a few hours a week, and you can do it online at any time that suits you.
The best things in life are free
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Not a problem at all, you weren't in the wrong thread, it had context at the time, it just would have got overlooked. :wink:

I will do my best to join some, but I have way too much already stacked on my plate for the next few months. Perhaps the more I try and do the more I'll achieve? Is that how it works? :wink:
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Nemo - what's the saying "if you want something done, ask a busy person"?
The best things in life are free
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I've been doing the FutureLearn Spanish course, but it's too basic for me as I've been learning Spanish for 3hrs a week with a tutor for a good few months so I am hoping that there will be an intermediate course after the beginners' course. I was attracted to it because unlike most Spanish apps it is teaching Castellano and not Latin American Spanish :)
brightmike

Post by brightmike »

Coursera also do lots of free courses on loads of subjects from various international universities, again I think you can pay for certification.

For those interested they do quite a lot of web design stuff

www.coursera.org
Our property website can be found by looking at our profile.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Digital marketing course has just started this week which I signed up for. Hoping it will prove useful in some shape or form. :)
nealh

Post by nealh »

For those that did it, I was wondering how people felt the Digital Marketing course has helped them or how useful it has been with regard to holiday rentals?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I've only managed week one so far. Nothing useful as yet, but week two and three were meant to be more useful.
nealh

Post by nealh »

I've not got to the end either but found it very theory intensive. I was hoping for more practical insights with perhaps some case studies that I could emulate, for example. Maybe I need to get to the end before I make a final judgement.