How much hanging/wardrobe space do guests need?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
GillianF

How much hanging/wardrobe space do guests need?

Post by GillianF »

OH and I are in dispute. When we go on holiday we are fairly minimalist with clothes. He might have the trousers he's wearing and one 'spare'. Only one or two shirts. That's it for him with hanging space. The rest of his attire will be shorts and t-shirts which he doesn't hang up. I take a bit more but not much.

I am aware we might be unusual!

So, now we are re-vamping our gite bedrooms and he's going to custom-build wardrobes. He thinks guests only need 40cms of hanging rail in a bedroom sleeping two. I think this is too little. There will be shelving in each wardrobe and a chest of drawers in each room.

Any views?
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

How much hanging space do you have at home? Surely you are aiming for a "home from home" feeling in your gite? Don't forget - less is not more when it comes to wardrobes!!!! A girl simply CANNOT have too much hanging space, even on a minimalist holiday. So long as there is an assortment of shelves, drawers and hanging space (of varying lengths), you should be fine.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

I can honestly say, as someone who can go away for any length of time with only hand luggage, I am constantly amazed how many clothes people take. We had a group of 6 staying for only five night short break at a country villa and each had a HUGE suitcase. I think a significant percentage will be really pleased to find spacious storage with good quality hangers (particularly for jackets).
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

FWIW, Visit Britain have an expectation of 6 (decent) hangers per guest. But people are on holiday - as long as there's sufficient floor space, why bother hanging anything up?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I don't actually possess a single item of clothing that needs hanging up (I live my life in shorts and tee shirts, or jeans and fleeces if it's really cold - I don't have anything more formal than that) so I'm constantly amazed at anybody hanging anything! But we provide 6 hangers per person, plus a coat rack. Plus 4 large drawers, plus quite a lot of shelf space for clothing stuff.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Gosh! I'm stunned. I thought we were the exception in our 'non requirement' for much hanging space. I am constantly surprised at how much 'stuff' people bring with them for a Summer break but thought they were 'normal'.

Each of the gite wardrobes has about a dozen coathangers so it looks as though we're doing quite well on that front.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

We've just had an Aussie couple staying, in Europe partly for holiday and partly so that she could give papers at several universities. They each had three HUGE suitcases plus a big rucksack. It's a good thing the barn bedroom is so big (7 metres by 7.5 metres) otherwise they'd never have fitted everything in!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

It is one of my pets hates in rental properties and hotels; not having a decent amount of space for clothes.
Some have been just ridiculous!
We hate not being able to hang our clothes properly or having to double up or treble up on hangers.

I would agree with Peps. You want people to feel they have room to hang clothes properly....and enough hangers (6 is unbelievable GB....I'm amazed.I'd fill that on my own)
Our large wardrobes have often been mentioned overy the years.....and the plethora of hangers.
Those that need a small space won't be inconvenienced but those that need more space will.

I assume your clients stay for 1 and 2 weeks? So that means a standard wardrobe is needed i would think.. .....unless your guests aren't fashion concious!

Mousie
p.s.
Another thing to think about; in the UK most clothes concious people have a summer wardrobe they hardly wear.....and so this is their only opportunity to get a chance to wear them!
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I take masses of stuff away with me and expect to hang it all up - even t-shirts because the last thing I want to do when on holiday is iron. My bugbears on this theme are inadequate wardrobe space, inadequate numbers of coat hangers and finally having only 'gentlemen's wardrobes' with inadequate vertical space to hang dresses. There have been times when I've had to hang dresses on the backs of doors to avoid the puddle of creased fabric on the floor of a gentleman's wardrobe. Coat hangers are not expensive so why provide about three per guest? I have MASSES!! Jacket hangers; skirt hangers; trouser hangers; aircraft hangars (well perhaps not the last one :D ) I hope and pray that no one who ever stays at the finca will complain about not having enough hanging space or hangers. Some people travel light. Some people need two pairs of shorts and two t-shirts for an entire fortnight's stay. I am not that person. The point is that your minimalist packer is not going to be offended by the capacious wardrobe and bafflement of hangers, but your uneconomical packer (me, for example) will be exasperated by having to have clothes folded in drawers, or worse left in a suitcase, because there is no option to hang stuff up.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Mouse wrote:...and enough hangers (6 is unbelievable GB....I'm amazed.I'd fill that on my own)
That's 6 per person Mousie.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

I am definitely not minimalist. English weather is so variable, I pack for sunny, windy, wet, hot, cold......

In my holiday let (sleeps 7) there is 6 feet of hanging rail in master bedroom, 4 feet in others. Minimum of 12 hangers (IKEA) per person, more in master. Each bedroom has minimum of 3 large drawers, plus a variety of smaller cabinets by beds. Some rooms have extra shelving.

Downstairs there are 12 wall hooks for hanging outdoor jackets, plus shoe racks for outdoor shoes/walking boots.
The best things in life are free
limousin-cottage

Post by limousin-cottage »

Giraffe wrote:I am definitely not minimalist. English weather is so variable, I pack for sunny, windy, wet, hot, cold......

In my holiday let (sleeps 7) there is 6 feet of hanging rail in master bedroom, 4 feet in others. Minimum of 12 hangers (IKEA) per person, more in master. Each bedroom has minimum of 3 large drawers, plus a variety of smaller cabinets by beds. Some rooms have extra shelving.

Downstairs there are 12 wall hooks for hanging outdoor jackets, plus shoe racks for outdoor shoes/walking boots.
My little one bedroomed cottage has a double wardrobe plus two chests of drawers. The thing I hate most is staying in a rental where I have to live out of a suitcase - the point about ironing is very valid. Hanging avoids the need to iron everything you have meticulously packed!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

greenbarn wrote:
Mouse wrote:...and enough hangers (6 is unbelievable GB....I'm amazed.I'd fill that on my own)
That's 6 per person Mousie.
Nah....still not enough for us two :wink: Visit Britain perhaps only think of short break people.
Actually on a short break we might just about manage if we used the drawers (a coat, a jacket, trousers, skirt, shirt, top, jumper......nah, maybe not)

Like casscat I prefer things hung up than shoved in a drawer where it gets creased.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!