Another Website Review

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
JaneTwo

Post by JaneTwo »

I am a newbie so my opinion isn't worth much, but I love your website and the cottage looks wonderful, with lots of character - and what amazing views! The window seat is sooo inviting!

It just looks idyllic.

The booking info is a littttle confusing - why, for example, do you have a column for 'Monthly' with nothing in it? What is the 'Week night' column all about? Is this the price per night if you want to stay for less than a week - if so, why is the 'Weekend night' column blank?

The booking with confidence page is nice - good idea to give some details about yourself. I would definitely be reassured by this page (maybe naively?!).

Love the old photo - gives a sense of its history.

The blog page - this is probably just me being thick, but at first I thought this was about the restoration of your cottage. Also, a bit of editing for punctuation etc. is needed.

I'm trying to be picky, but failing - I think it looks lovely!
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

The rates page, as far as I can see, is formatted like that in PromoteMyPlace, if I can edit out those columns I'll try and do it, but I don't remember being able to when I set it up.

I only added the blog page today, so yes, might need a few edits!

Thanks for the comments, I absolutely love this cottage and went way over budget to buy it!!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

JaneTwo wrote:I am a newbie so my opinion isn't worth much,
On the contrary. The enthusiasm that is present when just starting out and lack of cynicism is probably a good thing for reviewing a site :lol:

Welcome to LMH
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

kevsboredagain wrote:
JaneTwo wrote:I am a newbie so my opinion isn't worth much,
On the contrary. The enthusiasm that is present when just starting out and lack of cynicism is probably a good thing for reviewing a site :lol:

Welcome to LMH
Completely agree!
JaneTwo

Post by JaneTwo »

Haha - yes, blind enthusiasm can be useful I suppose! Also meant to say I am not tech-savvy, so I can't help with how to take out those columns. If it's not possible, I wonder if you could add some text underneath to explain what the columns mean? (Or maybe other people would know this and it's not needed?)

Thank you Kev for welcoming me! I am enjoying my delurking!
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

JaneTwo wrote:. If it's not possible, I wonder if you could add some text underneath to explain what the columns mean? (Or maybe other people would know this and it's not needed?)
You see, that's useful. I will look into that. Thanks!
loveka

Post by loveka »

Hello! I love your cottage, I have also just bought a cottage in Polperro, and I am jealous of yours as I think it's the perfect one there!

I love your website, it's very interesting and makes you feel you are part of a bit of history when you stay there.

The only comment I have is the main picture of the cottage on the home screen doesn't do it justice. It shows the cottage really well, but not it's position on the harbour. I think if someone hasn't been to Polperro before they may not realise instantly from the picture the very special position you have.
Tivoli

Post by Tivoli »

You can easily remove the unused columns on the rates page, there is a set of check-boxes and just uncheck the ones you aren't using.

Are you on Facebook? If so, why haven't you liked yourself? Do you have friends on Facebook? Why haven't they liked you? It's probably better not to have a Facebbok Like widget if it's reading zero.
loveka wrote:The only comment I have is the main picture of the cottage on the home screen doesn't do it justice. It shows the cottage really well, but not it's position on the harbour. I think if someone hasn't been to Polperro before they may not realise instantly from the picture the very special position you have.
It is very helpful to have great photos that simply don't do it justice. That way there is still a 'Wow!' factor on arrival. It is much better to be told that the pictures don't do it justice than that the reality doesn't live up to the photographs
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

From a "near neighbour" in Cornwall.

My son and partner have just returned from a short break in Looe with friends. They walked to Polperro and thought it a fabulous place just have you have described. You have a wonderful holiday offering which I believe is reflected in your website.

I like the layout of your website. I also love your green heading colour. I might use similar. My website is rubbish as we (my son does the actual work!) found it too difficult to create. He is going to create a new one with PMP. I have no understanding of website technical issues, but herewith a few comments on your content.

In the opening page suggest you mention beautiful Cornwall as well as Polperro. Many people have a romantic vision of Cornwall, so it might be useful to sell this.

An open fire is high on the list of visitor most common requirements. Mention cosy winter evenings in around a log fire?

You only mention Polperro beach which is tidal. Helpful to mention some local non tidal beaches for visitors wanting a lazy day out at the seaside?

On parking, suggest you put a positive first, ie the small cobbled streets which are so attractive, and then discuss the parking issues.

You sell the camel trail cycling really well. If I was a keen cyclist I might be tempted to book a holiday let near Wadebridge rather than Polperro.

:D :D :D
The best things in life are free