Guest's Home Address

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
Frenchlady

Guest's Home Address

Post by Frenchlady »

Does anyone else running a B&B request that a guest supplies you with their home address at the time of booking?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I always did. Nobody would have got over the threshold if I didn't have it!
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

Yes, that has always been our rule too. Only ever had 1 lady who tried to refuse to give us the details until we threatened to cancel the booking. Just recently we are having to chase people several times over the booking period for their address. I do believe that quite a lot of people just do not read their e-mails fully. We are just going through this again with a guest who, despite asking 3 times, seems to be ignoring our request. For security reasons we want to know who is coming into our home (especially in light of what is happening in the world today). If this guest does not confirm their address then we will be cancelling the booking and returning their deposit.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

We always asked guests to complete a booking form, which included their address, phone number and email address - their booking was not confirmed until we had that.
CSE

Post by CSE »

For security reasons we want to know who is coming into our home (especially in light of what is happening in the world today). If this guest does not confirm their address then we will be cancelling the booking and returning their deposit.
That is a bit OTT. If there was any security concern then the French government would ask you to obtain this information. We have only ever had to show passports at the time of entry.
We do not know if this data is transferred to a website controlled by the Police or not. In France, we have never been asked for details about our address.

And even if they gave you an address how do you know if they live there or not?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
CSE

Post by CSE »

French Cricket wrote:We always asked guests to complete a booking form, which included their address, phone number and email address - their booking was not confirmed until we had that.
Storing personal data has to be done within the bounds of the law(s) It must be secure no matter if you use paper or using "technology".
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

currently in France you should be asking all non-French guests for address details on a fiche de police - we have been doing this since November, got a little lax until Nice & now doing it again. for guests via bdotcom you can stipulate on your policies that you will only accept guests with address & telephone number
aasta

Post by aasta »

We always ask guests for address before they arrive. If I Ihave a bit of an "ify" feeling I google them to acertain they are really who and where they are.
Portuguese law requires that we ask guests where they live when checking their ID/passport for their details which we are required to file electronically after each guest departs.
aasta
CSE

Post by CSE »

Maybe time for some to have a rethink on this subject:
1)How do you know if they are telling the truth?
2) How do you know if they are iffy?
The laws in the countries where you operate say you have pass on the information at the time of arrival or, at it seems in Portugal, after the stay.
You are making far too much work for yourself with no proven results.

petitbois
currently in France you should be asking all non-French guests for address details on a fiche de police
That would go against EU law. You have to treat all EU citizens the same.
louloup

Post by louloup »

Not in France! We only fill in the Fiche de Police for foreigners.

:(

https://www.service-public.fr/professio ... F33458[url][/url]
CSE

Post by CSE »

Interesting, There is still no proof everything that is on the form is the truth.You are not obliged to see the evidence od said information.
Do you tell the guests that you are obliged to pass on the details of email addresses to the police? That again is a breach of the EU regulations!

One rule for them and one for us!
louloup

Post by louloup »

I don't pass the details to the police, just keep the form for 6 months in case I'm asked.

I did have a visit from the Gendarmes after our nearby Post Office was robbed at gun point. I did have guests, my sister & her husband! so yes they were foreigners.

I have been 'controlled' for my drinks licence & queried at length about my business registration, so I try to abide by this stuff because I'm sure they will ask one day.

I do agree about the "foreigners" bit though & am always apologetic when I ask them to fill the form in.