blog admin page gone blank

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
elena

blog admin page gone blank

Post by elena »

Hi!

Just nearing the end of this season and thought I should revisit my blog as I haven't posted there since last November :oops:

I opened up the admin page last week and started drafting a new post but got too busy and didn't follow it through.

Yesterday I went back to carry on and found that my admin page is just a blank white sheet. None of the Dashboard links work except the Akismet configeration plug in.

I haven't added anything new or deleted anything, in fact I haven't changed anything at all and it was all working before.

The actual blog still displays and works properly.

Any ideas on how to go about fixing it?

The blog is www.dordogne-gites.info

Many thanks!
Elena

www.dordogne-holiday-villa.co.uk
www.lescrouquets.net
man who stand on side of mountain with mouth open waiting for roast duck to fly in have long wait....
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Who's your hosting company? I'd raise a technical query with them.
elena

Post by elena »

Thanks Nemo!

I'm with Vodahost and had already contacted them. They said they could access the admin page and to clear the browser cache.

I can also access the log in page but when I log in I get the blank white screen.

I've cleared the cache but it's still the same. I'm waiting for them to get back to me but just wondered if anyone had any suggestions in the meantime.

I've googled it and apparently it happens - I found a whole load of ways to "fix" it , none of which seem to match my system or which are beyond my capabilities :(

Hopefully the hosting Co will come up with something else!

Elena

www.lescrouquets.net
man who stand on side of mountain with mouth open waiting for roast duck to fly in have long wait....
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Tried in a different browser? You have done everything I could do too then! Fingers crossed
elena

Post by elena »

Yes tried that too Nemo!

Hosting Co have just got back saying my WordPress installation is very out of date, no longer compatible with the php server and would I like them to update it for me ......

I can somehow see lots of data getting lost...!!!!

Elena
www.lescrouquets.net
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Do you do regular back ups? If not then do one now before they update it. I have mine set to back up weekly although that failed this week; something I must look into!
elena

Post by elena »

I do back up when I remember but not nearly as often as I should.

I'm not good at upgrading to the latest versions of things either ... usually end up sticking to the version Ive got comfy with until something like this happens!

Anyway Vodahost backed up my WordPress blog first then upgraded it to the 4.6 version and now it's all working fine again ...phew!

Another lesson learned I suppose!

Elena
www.lescrouquets.net
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Elena - I recommend getting a plugin that will back up your site automatically then you don't have to remember (I use Updraft, set to backup weekly).

Also, it's very important to keep Wordpress and any plugins you use up to date.

Wordpress is a prime target for hackers. The updates often fix security holes in the system. If you don't keep it updated you could be leaving yourself open for your site to be attacked. Which could mean it being replaced with some hackers home page or, even worse, someone intercepting your enquiries!
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth