Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

PayPal - policy update

Handling rental enquiries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenfrog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: PayPal - policy update Reply with quote

Has anyone read through new PayPal policy update, coming in October?
It includes fascinating new rules about not dissuading people from using PayPal, including:
"In representations to your customers or in public communications, you shall not mischaracterise or disparage PayPal as a payment method."

Shocked Rolling Eyes

I take the view that I have every right to disparage a service that isn't doing what it should! Not convinced it's even legal to demand I be nice about them, even in public communications, since France allows a level of comparative advertising.

Anyway, I just liked this new low in paranoia and OCD behaviour. Razz
Essar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: PayPal - policy update Reply with quote

greenfrog wrote:
"...you shall not mischaracterise or disparage PayPal as a payment method.

As I understand it we have to mischaracterise PayPal because to not is wrong..... Confused
Robin S

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some friends who also own a holiday let recently got rolled over by PP when a guest was a no show and they reversed the collected for a booking on the basis "goods weren't shipped" I wouldn't ever touch PP with a barge poll for taking for our holiday lets.

Which means I'm open to slander them as I see fit on the interpipes Smile But, actually, i do have personal accounts... what a dilemma!

Robin

http://www.millvillage.co.uk
Nemo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Robin, thanks for sharing that. I have long disliked using Paypal as a mechanism for accepting payments and rarely do so now, thankfully.
e-richard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin @ One Spring wrote:
After some friends who also own a holiday let recently got rolled over by PP when a guest was a no show and they reversed the collected for a booking on the basis "goods weren't shipped" I wouldn't ever touch PP with a barge poll for taking for our holiday lets...

Then you should not accept any credit cards, not book through any listing site and probably not take personal cheques. Cash is the only safe way to do business.

See http://www.laymyhat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26748 to see that PayPal is not unique.

As a rule, credit card companies will always err on the side of the consumer - thanks to Martin Lewis and his brethren on TV and in the Daily Wail, but that doe snot mean we have to roll over and just accept it. Fight back when you are in the right.
Hells Bells

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Paypal account does not produce invoices with a 'shipping address' as there are no goods to ship, it is a payment for services.
Handling rental enquiries