Break-ins and alarms

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Ben McNevis

Break-ins and alarms

Post by Ben McNevis »

This one isn't about our own properties. The worst we've had at our own places in over 20 years is a bit of coal pilfering.

We have friends who have a beautiful villa in the Algarve. It must be about 5 years since they finished building and they let it through a local agent all summer. In the last 3 years, they have had 4 break-ins while the guests are out for the day. Each time, it's the guests' property (cash & jewelery) that is targeted.

Our friends have spent a fortune on additional locks, security shutters, cameras etc, but really the more secure the building becomes, the more damage is done in getting in to it.

So, I've suggested an alarm. But the problem with conventional security alarms is that it relies on the occupants to remember to set it and to understand it well enough to live with it. Also, having an alarm going off once the villains have broken the security shutters and the patio doors is an almost total failure.

Before I start on making a custom alarm system for them, I wonder if anyone else has a good solution to this problem?

I'm also wondering if my custom alarm would have a market for other holiday villas. It is RasperryPi-based with the usual kind of PIR and door sensors plus wireless IR beam sensors sensing a line about 1 metre away from the house. Instead of having the guests set the alarm and unset it manually, it sets itself when a door is locked from the outside and it does a partial set when the last door is locked from the inside. And it communicates an alarm by SMS message as well as conventional alarm sounders.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

I'm not convinced that there is an answer to a problem that is big business in holiday areas, especially with high end villas. It's highly organised in the Cote d'Azur, with a annual migration of large numbers of thieves up the coast, who watch villas, follow clients from the airport, have 'friends' doing cleaning etc etc.

If they want to get in, they will, irrespective of your protection methods.
We have a small safe, electric shutters or security grills on all the windows, very visible CCTV (which works, records and is internet linked), almost inaccessible hedges and gates along with an alarm (which can be set/unset with a remote, as well as digitally). The alarm is very audible when it's set, so if anyone is watching the property they will realise that the system is activated.

Tempting fate, no doubt, our only problem in 6 years has been some clients leaving the downstairs windows unlocked, with shutters up, and being robbed at night...and it doesn't matter how many precautions you take, the clients will 'know best' and don't always make use of their common sense / what's provided.

It was interesting watching the replay: 4 hooded chaps, walked 'round trying the windows, in and out in a matter of minutes: even if the alarm had been set, then gone off, they'd have been long gone / damage done before anyone could have responded.

So to (not) answer your question: it may be an impossible task, especially if the clients leave what common sense they have at home!
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

My thoughts are that Ben's system is really sophisticated and does not rely on the guests' memory to set it, but as Zingara suggests, determined thieves will get in whatever the protection. They do their stealing, and get away before anyone fully realizes what has happened even with the alarm going.

I have not tried it myself, but I would imagine that a thief will be in a very high state of alert once he has broken in and will be easily panicked. A loud, shrill, piercing, piezo alarm inside a room might have the desired effect.

Not to do with houses, but I once watched some CCTV footage of the inside of a jewellers, when two men walked in with shot guns. Customers were made to lie on the floor and not move, but while doing that, the assistant behind the counter triggered a secret switch.

There followed a loud and eerie hissing sound coming from the ceiling. The robbers looked up to see a thick cloud of red dye in the form of very tiny droplets descending on them. They immediately raced out of the shop and their feet didn't touch.
Marks

Post by Marks »

We have grille guards/alarms on all window and door security grilles. They detect vibration and activate the alarm before any damage has been done. Had them for 10 years and no break-ins, neighbours have not been so lucky.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

I have a friend who was being burgled regularly despite alarms and cameras etc all being installed.

In the end a friend of a friend who was into a little bit of electronics set up a system whereby when someone got too close to the house a non existent presence of dogs could be heard.

Problem solved, she's never been broken into since. The thief's came back a couple of times as they were caught on CCTV and they quickly left and haven't been seen since.
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

They do have vibration alarms on the shutters. The problem is that those can only be used when the house is unoccupied. They are switched off for guests because guests are free to open shutters and open windows.

I did wonder about whether dog barking noise might be effective. I imagine it would be difficult to make it sound authentic, a bit like the canned laughter versus real laughter. The sound of a gun being cocked (is that the right word?) might also make them think.
Cheers, Ben

Marks

Post by Marks »

Ben McNevis wrote:They do have vibration alarms on the shutters. The problem is that those can only be used when the house is unoccupied. They are switched off for guests because guests are free to open shutters and open windows.
Ours are fixed to the metal security grilles and can be set if the house is occupied or unoccupied. Why have a alarm system that has to be turned off when guests are in residence?
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

"I did wonder about whether dog barking noise might be effective. I imagine it would be difficult to make it sound authentic, a bit like the canned laughter versus real laughter."

It was certainly effective for my friend as her problem was solved, no more break-ins and burglaries.

Knowing that the sound of dogs was false it sounded false but someone else not knowing this it sounded genuine and in such a situation do you hang around to find out, do you break in and get mauled or do you walk away. They walked away in the believe that there were dogs in the house so it worked.

When you see that sign on the gate "Beware of the dog" Is there or is there not a dog? Do you walk in and find out the hard way or do something else but if can also hear dogs and there's a dogs soft toy visible to the eye too or a bowl of water by the door.

With todays audio technology I'm sure It could be made to sound very real along with the presence of sign on the gate, a bowl of water at the back door and a half mauled tennis ball on the lawn. You have a few seconds perhaps to make your mind up, stay and get mauled to death or go away and try next door.

You could explore other illusions and deceptions too, the Nudge theory (or Nudge) is a concept in behavioural science. Most politicians, magicians and tricksters use this concept in behavioural science to get people to things they wouldn't normally do. Place a hand bag full of money by the side of a poo bin on a warm damp day, nobody will touch it!
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

Marks:
Ours are fixed to the metal security grilles and can be set if the house is occupied or unoccupied. Why have a alarm system that has to be turned off when guests are in residence?
This is what I need to understand. Are the sensors you're talking about linked to a proper alarm system? If so, it makes sense, except that we are then relying on guests to set the alarm when they leave the house. The ones that our friends have are independent and each one incorporates a sounder. They all have to be switched on and off as required (with a little keyfob remote) and those are useless in this situation!
Cheers, Ben

Marks

Post by Marks »

Ben McNevis wrote: This is what I need to understand. Are the sensors you're talking about linked to a proper alarm system?
Yes, external and internal sounders. Vibrations are detected and a signal sent to the controll panel which then sets the sounders off. I can also check via the panel which grille guard has detected vibration. Our system is about 10 years old now, more sophisticated systems are available.
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

Marks: Do the guests understand the alarm and set it when they go out for the day?

I also wonder, with conventional alarm systems, whether the fact that you tell guests that they have to set the alarm when they leave the house makes them worried.
Cheers, Ben

gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I specified high security glass on my windows as I was fearful of children running into them, they are floor to ceiling. Also for anti robbery, the supplier said however if you want to break in the robbers will just cut the whole window out. Apparently robbers don't like breaking glass.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Ben McNevis wrote:Marks: Do the guests understand the alarm and set it when they go out for the day?

I also wonder, with conventional alarm systems, whether the fact that you tell guests that they have to set the alarm when they leave the house makes them worried.
Remote fob, two buttons - set and unset. Guests given instructions, whether they set it or not when they go out I don't know. When we go into to clean we always press the unset button as there are also door sensors so if the alarm is set and we don't unset it the alarm will go off when the door is opened.

I can't see that guests would be unsettled, home alarm systems are pretty commonplace. Aren't they?
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

Yes, in some localities, alarms are common. However, I've never rented a place that is alarmed. Maybe we go too downmarket for our hols!
Cheers, Ben

Marks

Post by Marks »

Ben McNevis wrote:Yes, in some localities, alarms are common. However, I've never rented a place that is alarmed. Maybe we go too downmarket for our hols!
Every flat/house I have lived in/owned has either had an alarm in place or I have had one installed. Maybe I just lived in some rough areas :wink: