Charge for child

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
yer tis

Charge for child

Post by yer tis »

I don't normally accommodate children at my B&B but a re-turn guest has asked if their 11 year old daughter could stay the night, the couple are house hunting in my area, should I charge anything extra for the child?
many thanks for reading my post
Sue
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Presumably the child is using a bed, in which case I don't see any reason why you shouldn't charge extra, even if it's just to cover your extra laundry costs. In the rooms where we can fit an extra bed, we charge a nominal fee of 10€ (not including breakfast), though we are budget accommodation. Friends in the same business with a more expensive B&B charge 25€ per extra bed.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I know some hotels don't charge for extra kids sharing a room, but they are geared up for it and it is already factored into the price. However, as you are a B&B and do not normally take children I see no reason whatsoever why you shouldn't charge extra. As Gitemontjoly says, there is extra bedding to be washed, extra time to provide and make up an extra bed, extra use of services and extra wear and tear, albeit small. Unless of course, you want to offer it for free as a 'marketing gimmick' if you feel they may wish to use you again. However, in my experience, giving things for free rarely brings in any more business.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

If this child was an extra adult sharing the room, surely you would charge something extra to cover extra laundry costs, breakfast, etc. Just because it's a child does not mean there are no extra work or costs for you.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
GRL

Post by GRL »

Just don't do what one B&B did to us once. We were travelling with our 2 boys who were a toddler aged 2 and a babe in arms. We supplied their travel cots but they still charged us for the toddler and the DIDN'T provide breakfast for him!
yer tis

charge for child

Post by yer tis »

Thank you all for the advise, much appreciated. I will charge a little extra because of the extra laundry and of course breakfast.
Sue