Advantages/Disadvantages of having a SIRET N0.in France

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
dunstan

Advantages/Disadvantages of having a SIRET N0.in France

Post by dunstan »

Does anyone have any experience of a SIRET NO. in France .
As a gite complex owner we do hot have to have one , but if you advertise with Brittany ferries I understand they will not add on any VAT .
louloup

Post by louloup »

I have a Siret number but am not registered for TVA, two separate issues. To obtain a Siret you would have to register as a business and choose what form that business would take. I am an Auto Entrepreneur, the simplest form, where I pay a percentage of my turnover as cotisations. This works for me but my business turnover is small and I want to keep it that way. I doubt whether this would suit a gite complex.

Other forms of business in France seem to require more paperwork & probably the cost of an accountant too.

To answer your original question, a Siret number won't affect whether you pay VAT or not.

It could be that you must register as a business anyway, if your Gite income is more than 50% of your total income for example.

There is up to date information here.

http://www.assistant-juridique.fr/statu ... _gite.jsp
dunstan

Post by dunstan »

Thanks for the reply. We are registered as a Micro-Entreprise,
but not for VAT.Therefore presumably applying for a SIRET No . would be straightforward.
I believe UK VAT must be payable if you are not registered for TVA in France ?
Retired but STILL working hard !
louloup

Post by louloup »

If you are registered as a microentreprise you should already have a Siret number.

I think this is the number you are thinking of

http://www.auto-entrepreneur.fr/regime- ... e.html[url]

There used to be a site telling people that they could obttain items without VAT from the UK with one of these numbers, up to a value of 10k, it seemed to god to be true and as far as I could see it was. You save the UK va, but pay French TVA, more paperwork for no gain.

If the UK/EU goods and services you use are less than 10k you are not obliged to register for TVA.[/url]
Circé

Post by Circé »

Agreed, if you're already registered then you have a siret number!
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

The big advantage of having a SIRET No. is that it gives you access to the french health service via a carte vitale. If you are under retirement age then this is the way to get it.
Circé

Post by Circé »

That's a very British-immigrant way of looking at things Dusty!
It's not the way most French people would look at it.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Thats very true Circé, thats probably because thats what I am :D. Clearly if you're running a business in France then it should be registered but the advantage to a British immigrant is that it provides access to the health service, are there any other advantages?
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Surely it's not a question of advantages and disadvantages.

If you're running a business you have to be registered, pay your social charges, tax etc. I wasn't aware we had a choice in the matter - other than choosing to break the law.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

GillianF wrote:Surely it's not a question of advantages and disadvantages.

If you're running a business you have to be registered, pay your social charges, tax etc. I wasn't aware we had a choice in the matter - other than choosing to break the law.
Thats also a very "British" attitude, a lot of French tend to "ignore" the legality side of things !
What would Plato do ?
Circé

Post by Circé »

Agreed, Gillian F.
Dusty, OK so you have some sort of UK pension, most French folk running any sort of business don't and they need social cover and pensions just like you.
Bornintheuk, most French workers do register their businesses and generally comply with the law in most respects but there will always be a few cash jobs - as in the UK or anywhere else!
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Circe, I was specifically referring to the gite/maison de vacances section of French business a lot of which are "under the radar"
What would Plato do ?
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

dunstan wrote:Thanks for the reply. We are registered as a Micro-Entreprise,
but not for VAT.Therefore presumably applying for a SIRET No . would be straightforward.
When you registered your gite complex as a business with the Chamber of commerce for your town they would have given you a lot of paperwork and a siret number.

Usually you can find your siret number by googling your address. We have just tried to do this for you and not found it. You will need to dig out the original paperwork from the CofC. It may also be on your CFE bill and/or your Cotisation demands

If not a trip to the CofC will get it for you, They are usually very nice and helpful (ours are anyway).
VT
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

vacancesthezan wrote:
dunstan wrote:Thanks for the reply. We are registered as a Micro-Entreprise,
When you registered your gite complex as a business with the Chamber of commerce for your town they would have given you a lot of paperwork and a siret number.

Usually you can find your siret number by googling your address. We have just tried to do this for you and not found it. You will need to dig out the original paperwork from the CofC. It may also be on your CFE bill and/or your Cotisation demands

If not a trip to the CofC will get it for you, They are usually very nice and helpful (ours are anyway).
VT
We have just received information from Accueillir Magazine and they state that for 2017:

Le projet de loi fixe comme seuil, des recettes annuelles de 23 000€. A partir de ce montant, les loueurs auraient l'obligation de s'affilier aux caisses sociales (RSI, MSA…) et de payer des cotisations (maladie, retraite, famille…).
En deçà de 23 000 €, ils pourraient rester de simples particuliers.

If we translate this correctly, if your "receipts" for 2017 are greater than €23k then you must register as a professional whether or not you have other revenue streams (eg pension from the UK). It is not clear from the information but we assume that this is regardless of whether you are AE, Micro enterprise etc.
VT