No contact with guests before entry to rental property?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
cleanforum

No contact with guests before entry to rental property?

Post by cleanforum »

Perhaps this is common for others, but I find it disconcerting when a guests books and I have had no conversation with them at all..

In this case a family from Germany have booked through OD. I said yes to their booking based on availability and group size (5). I have sent a couple of emails to them including one with the directions and house instructions and asking for some details of the group which is our normal procedure.

So far after one week and three emails I have heard nothing from them. I have a phone number so will call I suppose if needs be.

I just find it strange that all, do others have this experience often?
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

I think it is unusual, but not suspicious.

Most likely is that your emails have fallen into their spam folder.
If not, they have seen your emails but have not replied because they are embarrassed by their English (which is probably better than mine anyway). So, yes, give them a phone call and just check that all is well and that they have seen your emails.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
AndrewH

Re: No contact with guests before entry to rental property?

Post by AndrewH »

cleanforum wrote:Perhaps this is common for others, but I find it disconcerting when a guests books and I have had no conversation with them at all... I just find it strange that all, do others have this experience often?
We have had this very same experience - the first time in 8 years. Guests through OD. Without being pushy, I sent them the odd email throughout the months prior to arrival to acknowledge a payment or to send road directions, but not a word in reply. I got suspicious, and was thinking of leaving a note asking them to call at our house to collect the key (so that we could check them out before entry). Normally, we simply leave the key in the door, because you can still safely do that sort of thing round here.

Anyway I am so glad we didn't do that. These guests are in the rental villa at the present moment. A couple in early middle age. Unbelievably decent and respectable, and very appreciative. Ben, they are from Scotland! But they could have been from Timbuktu for all we knew.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

The whole booking process now has changed so guests may well want to stay a bit more anonymous. My current guests are lovely but a profile others may think a bit strange, it's not my business I just rent my villa...Anyway, point is onthe booking forms it may not be obvious and they value their privacy.

I have actually had the same configuration of guest in another rental years ago so nothing surprisession me now.
Jonathan

Re: No contact with guests before entry to rental property?

Post by Jonathan »

cleanforum wrote:Perhaps this is common for others, but I find it disconcerting when a guests books and I have had no conversation with them at all..

In this case a family from Germany have booked through OD. I said yes to their booking based on availability and group size (5). I have sent a couple of emails to them including one with the directions and house instructions and asking for some details of the group which is our normal procedure.

So far after one week and three emails I have heard nothing from them. I have a phone number so will call I suppose if needs be.

I just find it strange that all, do others have this experience often?
I believe that in the UK it is a legal requirement to have their addresses and passport numbers for non-UK, Irish, or Commonwealth citizens.

Jonathan
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

I believe that in the UK it is a legal requirement to have their addresses and passport numbers for non-UK, Irish, or Commonwealth citizens.
I thought it was for non-EU citizens. Could be wrong though.

In any case I would not rent my property to anyone without having the names of everyone in the party and the lead booker's address. I want to know who's in there, and feel it is important in case there is a fire or something. I do not send out check in details until I have the info, and have it written in my t&cs that it is a requirement and I will cancel the booking if I don't get it, although I've never had to yet. If it was not forthcoming I would ring the guest, or occasionally I have texted and had a response that way when emails are ignored.
cleanforum

Post by cleanforum »

Thanks. I concur with the above, regarding legality and guest details etc.

I have have had contact now with the guest. A little troublesome though as I suspect that the email the guest uses is getting blocked somewhere. Once I found that out I just send all correspondence through the OD site.

Their email is;

hisname @companyname .koeln

not sure but it looks mighty strange to me..
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

The current law is up for review and generally considered obsolete, but it's still in place and requires:
All serviced and self-catering accommodation premises must keep a record of all guests over the age of 16. The record should include their full name and nationality.

You must keep each guest's details for at least 12 months.
For all who are not British, Irish or Commonwealth guests:

passport number and place of issue (or other document which shows their identity and nationality)
details of their next destination (including the address, if known) on or before departure.
The chances of an owner being prosecuted for not following the law must be about zero, but does that mean the OTAs can legally withhold the information from the property owner? (And yes, I do realise that the question is irrelevant as HA/OD etc etc are above the law :evil: )
hugsarah

Post by hugsarah »

As a relative newbie to holiday letting (12 months) I'd say my experience is about 50/50 between the communicative and just pay the money. As a tiny cottage it doesn't really bother me if they don't want to chat.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Yes my experience is the same hugsarah. As long as I get the info I need I don't mind chatty or brief emails. I'm not the most sociable person myself so sometimes struggle to know how to be chatty with people I know nothing about, even if I think sometimes it would lead to better conversions.