Internet - expectations

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

There are trillions of PC's, Laptops, tablets and a whole variety of Apple devices and each device checks for updates sometimes daily or sometimes monthly.

If all those trillions of devices started updating together well the whole world would fall apart. Update servers whether they be Microsoft or Apple servers only allow a comparatively small number of devices to update simultaneously. So a device may check for updates several times before it is allowed to actually update and can be days or even several weeks out of date before it gets its opportunity to update.

Now I know for a fact that Mobile users, those with smartphones disable updating over there own mobile service because it eats up quite a substantial amount of that months allowance and they don't have broadband down the phone line at home either so what better way to do it than on somebody else's landline broadband connection that costs them nothing. Can't fault the idea behind that.

That might be a friends house or family or when on holiday.
Given that it is impossible for all those trillions of devices to get there updates and upgrades all at the same time and the process of updating / upgrading them can and does take many weeks there devices can wait another few days until they get home when they can get that upgrade or updates over a friends connection rather than over yours. Especially if you have a capped or a slow and or an unreliable connection. No upgrade or update is that critical it can't wait until they go home.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

ianh100 wrote:@Greenbarn. Do you find that the limited bandwidth shared across 3 properties is enough? We get similar SLOW speed but currently pay for an independent line for each property (They are semi detached).

Based on the government broadband messages I bought Draytek hardware to allow me to share a single line but really don't feel it fair to ask guests to share such a poor service.
The service as configured allows guests to use the internet for "normal" purposes (what was normal about a year ago, I suppose) but the speed they can use makes downloading movies pretty unwatchable; we make it clear on our website that we have a rural service.
We'd hoped that would be a relatively short term issue, but unfortunately it looks as though the promised Superfast is never going to be rolled out here after all, so it's time to start looking at the longer term in association with other local people.