Longer bookings ad hoc guests and SEF

For topics that are specific to Portugal, please go here.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Longer bookings ad hoc guests and SEF

Post by Sam V »

I've just had an OD enquiry for a 28 day booking early next year. She says its for four 'older adults' 'most of the time' but they will have other friends visiting during their stay. How should I work this with SEF requirements. I currently get the info from guests once their booking is paid and pass it to my manager to enter. Should I get the booking, should worry about adding the visitors details and request the dates they'll be staying, etc. too or ignore that part of the booking.

Quick, clock's ticking for my OD response score!
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I always say I need to know who is staying for insurance purposes.

I put this on my paper work as well.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Two choices:

1. What are the chances of SEF actually checking up? So just put the original 4 on the report.

2. Get all possible name and put them all down (as if they are all staying for the full duration).

Let's be blunt here. The SEF reporting is simply a sop to the Hotel industry to level the playing field and make our lives as difficult as theirs. It's hardly going to change the infrastructure of the Portuguese economy, so I doubt anybody is going to police it very diligently !
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

We had a booking for three weeks earlier this year - the initial enquiry was for 2 couples from Canada, with various family coming during the three weeks.

Our price changes depending on numbers. So we accepted the booking (Via OD online) on the basis that they agreed that there may be extra cost per person and that we would need specific details of who would be staying on what dates - nearer the time of the holiday.

We were worried that it would be a free-for-all holiday venue - and possible sub-letting.

It all worked out fine in the end and the bookers were very conscientious about letting us know full names of who would be arriving/departing on which dates.

Most important was to make it clear from initial enquiry that full names and departure and arrival dates of all guests would be required.
Codliveroil

Post by Codliveroil »

Recently stayed in Pousadas, NH hotels, Paradores and a couple of independants, we were two couples 3 Canadians and a Brit in all cases we were only asked for 1 ID and in some independents none!
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

I've replied with a quote and a larger security deposit and just stated ill need the details of all guests staying. So I eSit to see if I get a reply. To date I've never had a longer booking enq. like this convert.

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

Nemo

Re: Longer bookings ad hoc guests and SEF

Post by Nemo »

Sam V wrote: Quick, clock's ticking for my OD response score!
I have a templated response on OD that I can just hit the send button on, whatever the query, which buys more time. It can say whatever you like, much like an out of office reply, then you can respond in your own time without the panic of being up against the clock. Works well for me, using the app on my phone if I'm out and about; the only thing I need is the tiniest bit of data signal in order to send it.
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Well, I chased up the enquiry today and she's replied with 'Thank you for getting back to me, we have found somewhere else that has fewer rules about registering guests...'

I'm tempted to reply to that!

JanB

Post by JanB »

I am almost not surprised they didn't go ahead - in eleven years and five holiday cottages, long let enquiries very rarely led to a booking, mainly because they always wanted a very cheap rate on the basis they were doing me a favour as it would be empty otherwise... or, I realised they were going to be less than straightforward.

Those very few who did book usually made me regret it, leaving the property in a less than satisfactory state and therefore I stopped offering lets of more than two weeks. In my experience, holiday makers use the property in a vastly different way to someone "living" there and those on discounted rates hardly seem to recognise the fact by the time they come to stay.

I feel you had a very lucky escape as your instincts were probably correct about their possible over occupancy; they confirmed your fears with their reluctance to book. I pity the owner who will be duped by them.

Well done for trusting your own intuition!
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
Codliveroil

Post by Codliveroil »

Sam V wrote:Well, I chased up the enquiry today and she's replied with 'Thank you for getting back to me, we have found somewhere else that has fewer rules about registering guests...'

I'm tempted to reply to that!
What was the name? Heather by any chance?
Rogthedodge

Post by Rogthedodge »

E-Richard.... wise words again...
Deary me am I real.

www.holiday-rentals.com/52179
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

JanB wrote:I am almost not surprised they didn't go ahead - in eleven years and five holiday cottages, long let enquiries very rarely led to a booking, mainly because they always wanted a very cheap rate on the basis they were doing me a favour as it would be empty otherwise... or, I realised they were going to be less than straightforward.

Those very few who did book usually made me regret it, leaving the property in a less than satisfactory state and therefore I stopped offering lets of more than two weeks. In my experience, holiday makers use the property in a vastly different way to someone "living" there and those on discounted rates hardly seem to recognise the fact by the time they come to stay.

I feel you had a very lucky escape as your instincts were probably correct about their possible over occupancy; they confirmed your fears with their reluctance to book. I pity the owner who will be duped by them.

Well done for trusting your own intuition!
+1