Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Spam Blockers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
e-richard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Spam Blockers Reply with quote

Some of you are probably aware of the disdain with which I look at Spam Blocking Software. They all try too hard to be too clever and fail too often now rejecting too much valid email - such as enquiries and bookings Twisted Evil

So, I have been researching how and why and where and what, but there is a LOT of gobbldigook out there.

As a test, I used a spare (domain) email address of mine to make a direct online booking for a holiday rental at a private website (not a listing site). This ensured that the contact between guest and website was clean, fresh, virgin and untainted by prior contact.

The booking went through OK; the owner was informed by email OK, but the confirmation email back to the guest (my spare email address) was sent to Spam. In this case, the spam blocker also gave us a lot of interesting feedback about why it was rejecting the email, and I summarise it below.

Hopefully the text is reasonably self explanaory

A total score of 5 is the maximum for a genuine email, but the spam blocker scored this email with a 7.4 (Why don't you try adding up the scores Rolling Eyes )

From which I conclude:
    Keep your booking form as short as possible and avoid asking for too much personal information.
    Do not mention the dirty word money
    Do not ask for a booking deposit
    Do not use a catchpa
    Spam blockers are cr@p at arithmetic as well as everything else

and therefore:
Its probably better to send a paper form and ask the guest to return by post.
Did I really just say that ?

If there are any geeks/experts out there with anything more to add, please feel free to jump in
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: