New VOA estimations and impact on SBBR

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
ianh100

New VOA estimations and impact on SBBR

Post by ianh100 »

Hi All,
I have just been looking at the new VOA estimations. my properites (both the same building) have gone up quite differently. The biggest issue is that the smaller property will go from £2250 to £2700. THis takes it over the allowed limit for a second property and means we lose SBBR on the first one. This is going to have a big impact on our costs.

Anyone seeing similar? I would have hoped that the SBBR bands would have increased with the valuation increases.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

No, I think they used all the information we all had to submit earlier this year, remember? The lengthy form and request for details of the last 3 years accounts........

Edited to add - I don't know if there is any sort of appeal or review procedure. I only have one property so did not look for that information, but it might be worth while checking out. Like anything though, an appeal could go either way and not benefit you.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

I do remember that but I don't think I did it for the second property as I had not purchased it by then.

I think we will have to challenge the valuation, we have little to lose as we now face a rates bill that is 3x what we are paying today.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Ouch! That's painful.
Definitely worth looking into an appeal.
Annew

Re: New VOA estimations and impact on SBBR

Post by Annew »

ianh100 wrote:Hi All,
I have just been looking at the new VOA estimations. my properites (both the same building) have gone up quite differently. The biggest issue is that the smaller property will go from £2250 to £2700. THis takes it over the allowed limit for a second property and means we lose SBBR on the first one. This is going to have a big impact on our costs.

Anyone seeing similar? I would have hoped that the SBBR bands would have increased with the valuation increases.
You can appeal on line for your second property if you follow through from the valuation page (not the link that was sent out by the VO in today's email, which doesn't work) If you run both properties as one business and you have restrictions on use (eg, a holiday letting restriction imposed by the local council) you may have a case IME.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!