Airbnb - 'Olena' trying to set up account using our email

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

tchn wrote:Thanks. I've just received such an email addressed to a name that is not mine, asking to confirm our email address (which is available on listing sites). I'll use the phishing address.
Mine came addressed to Joanna, which is not my name. Did you get the same?
tchn

Post by tchn »

Bunny wrote:
tchn wrote:Thanks. I've just received such an email addressed to a name that is not mine, asking to confirm our email address (which is available on listing sites). I'll use the phishing address.
Amrit
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

tchn wrote:
Bunny wrote:
Amrit
Oh couldn't be more different then! :lol:
linda que linda

Post by linda que linda »

Mine came to Aiden
Martha

Post by Martha »

I've had this. I reported it but never heard back. :/
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
tchn

Post by tchn »

I now get emails from Airbnb which I didn't before. Has this happened to others?
mmg

Post by mmg »

I had the 'click to confirm your listing' email addressed to Meghan - same initial but wrong name. I reported to my internet provider as I assumed it was a phishing scam.

I've since received two emails from airbnb, written as if I have listed with them. Both have been forwarded to airbnb, I've asked them to confirm that my property is not listed with them but I've heard nothing.

I am concerned that there may be a fake listing using my property details but I don't know how to check.

The email address they are sending emails to was set up for the cottage, but I don't really use it. I have no idea where they would have got the address from, I have never attempted to list or book on their platform.
tchn

Post by tchn »

I'm trying to take this further.

I tried to create an account on Airbnb, and it told me that my email address was already in use. So I tried to log in and then used the reset password facility to at least deny control of the account to whoever set it up (as it emails the confirmation to my email address that they used to set it up).

I then logged in, and the profile was indeed set to the name that my original suspicious email was addressed to, along with spurious surname, currency option(JPY) and birthdate - all fictitious I would guess. I tried to edit the profile, but account access is denied until you verify - i.e. sending copies of identity documents. I don't wish to do that so stopped there.

I have tried to go through their online help, but you need to have an account to do that, and I don't want one. There is no phone number that I can access on their site, but google seems to have provided a number. I've been on hold for about 10 minutes...so losing hope. I'll let you know if I have any luck.
mmg

Post by mmg »

That's really very worrying.

I'm receiving emails almost daily now from airbnb, re new policies and terms and conditions. But surely if someone is using my email address for a listing they need to be able to access it - and I can't see how they can (but I'm not very tech savvy to be honest).

I have forwarded all emails to allbelong@airbnb and account.changes@airbnb and asked them to confirm that there are no listings under my email address but I've had no response.

Please let me know how you get on, and if you manage to make contact with someone at airbnb I would be grateful if you could give me their contact details. Thanks
tchn

Post by tchn »

After 20 minutes on the phone on hold, I gave in and am now trying through Twitter.

I doubt that we have all had email accounts hacked - so I would agree that whoever set it up cannot access it. Whoever it is could be trying to block people from using AirBnB by registering their user names - or even encouraging people to sign up to AirBnB - at the moment the only way I can see of getting in touch with them is to sign up... hopefully not.
mmg

Post by mmg »

Thanks tchn, I'm not on twitter but will join in order to sort this out if you have any success.
tchn

Post by tchn »

Ok, I seem to have had a response by contacting @AirbnbHelp on Twitter.

I also sent them a link to this forum topic, which it sounds like they have now looked at.

The end of our conversation was this:

"Hi Tom the account linked to your business email address has been deleted and all the information passed to the relevant team for a further investigation. Hope this clarifies Tom but we're here should you need us."

Tom
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Tchn - that is good news - will do the same. Thank you
mmg

Post by mmg »

Thanks tchn, I will sign up to twitter and contact them that way, I've had no response to numerous emails.
Rogthedodge

Post by Rogthedodge »

Good day, think this may be interesting for this thread, just received this from someone who has not stayed with me.

Seems she is with "holdaro.com"

"Hello,
My name is Hannah Tipping and i have stayed with you guys last year at the property you have listed with Airbnb.
I have lost my old email address and i can't find the property any longer. Do you still list with Airbnb?
If yes, can you please send me the link to your property so i can book it there?
Thank you"
Deary me am I real.

www.holiday-rentals.com/52179