Stress doll

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
sazzleevans

Stress doll

Post by sazzleevans »

Hi

I've been using this site for about three weeks and it has opened my eyes up to how things should be done.

I have placed my website up for review before and have had very full feedback about the size of my text being too small (which I agree with) and that the colour is hard on the eyes etc

Taking the views into account I have now decided to totaly revamp my site. So any feedback however small or however negative would be appreciated. Let rip and clear that tension...

I am thinking about highlighting the activities in the area more etc?

I have had this site up and running for four months and have had NO bookings!!!!!! I suspect its because the place isnt complete yet and there are no real photos (which will change soon ) but NO bookings must mean I am completely barking up the wrong tree.

So let me have it.

Sarah :?
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Hi Sarah, will look at your site shortly and comment.

Just one immediate point to pick up on, when you say you've had no bookings all all do you rely on your own website alone for bookings? I am with 2 property listing sites and I really think of my website as a fuller source of information for potential guest. I mainly rely on the listing sites to get the good rankings/listings and push the renters over my way which seems to be working okay so far. :) (touch wood!)
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Sarah,

Since this isn't asking for another website review, it seems more appropriate in the "Personal Websites" topic, so it has been moved there... if you haven't viewed the threads in that topic, that would be a great place to start gathering advice and suggestions.

Are you listed on any rental listing sites, or using a pay-per-click service such as the one Google offers? How many unique visitors do you get per month?

It's a myth that you can just set up a website and sit back and watch the visitors/bookings/orders roll in. You have to work to bring in links by, e.g., signing up for a rental listing site which allows you to link back to your own site or using the aforementioned pay-per-click.

I also recommend submitting your site to http://dmoz.org as a means of increasing search engine rankings.

As for a total revamp, my first suggestion is to take the suggestions contained in the reviews on your previous website review thread.

Also, I don't know if it was mentioned before, but think about inverting your color scheme -- so that the background is white and the text is dark red. It's easier on the eye... I love the red shade you've chosen, though, so maybe you could leave that as the page background color and then embed the actual site into a table of fixed width and background white or off-white.

Just a thought...

Cheers!
Brooke
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

Hi Brooke,

I have posted adds on loads of free sites about 15!!

I have listed on on holiday-rentals.com.

I have submitted it to search engines.

I have printed leaflets and have sent them to loads of golf clubs.

I have bought leaflet holders so that the leaflets looks well presented and have left those in a number of golfing establishments.

I have advertised on e bay with no luck!!

I am hoping its just the fact that the place isnt ready until may that is putting people off!

I get about 300 hits a month on my site but I dont know how many of these are genuine hits.

Any suggestions?

Sarah
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

ps I have even tried googles pay-per click!
tansy

Post by tansy »

Hi there

I just looked at your site...I admit I flicked but I didn't see anything to book if you see my drift...it was more about the area.....the apartment just showed a layout - I just couldn't imagine being there - have you no photos of the apartment, bedrooms, whatever.

I notice you say it's not finished yet...but surely there is something you can show?

Beach etc. look fab....would love to visit!
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

Hi

Thanks for your advise. The apartment isn't built yet. I have a photo of the build to but it still looks a bit like a building site..maybe in May when its complete and I have get the photos I will get a result.

I have had ONE booking yesterday from www.holiday-rentals.com which makes me feel a little better!!

Sarah
charles

Post by charles »

How about having an early-bird discount scheme for people who book before it is completed?

I agree from previous comments though that the site doesn't immediately make you think you're renting your property - it looks more like a promo about the Costa de la Luz at first glance.

In the menu I'd also recommend moving the Apartment and Transport links to just after Home. And maybe change transport to "getting here" or something similar. Then the menu would flow better - like what are we renting, how easy is it go there, what can you do when you're here, where can you eat, how much does it cost and how do you book. And then contact for further queries not covered elsewhere.

I also noticed you haven't got that many keywords in your meta tags - I'd suggest adding 10-15 more to re-inforce the information you're providing on the site itself.

I haven't gone through all the other comments though so I may be repeating other ideas.

hth
Charles
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

Hi Charles
Thanks for your comments. I agree it looks more like a promo for Costa de la Luz. I am going to revamp the site totaly by May to include photos I was just after another few opinions so I can get it right.

I have no idea about meta tags. I have a friend who has built the site for me..would it be easy for him to amend that?

I appreicate your help.
SARAH
charles

Post by charles »

Hi Sarah,

yeah keywords are easy to add - you might want to check for the best ones using this keyword checker tool (from a non-commercial/free site/not related to me):
www .digitalpoint.com/tools/suggestion/ (copy and paste in your browser and remove the space).

Try various combinations such as "holiday home rental costa de la luz" or "self catering andalucia" - you're looking for keywords that are searched reasonably frequently on google and such like.

Small thing: there's a spelling mistake on the location page, 1st paragraph has 'costa de al luz'.

Look forward to see mark II - and definitely include the pictures of the building work as it went along - I think it would give it a personal touch.

Cheers
Charles
paolo

Post by paolo »

sazzleevans wrote:I am hoping its just the fact that the place isnt ready until may that is putting people off!
You've got it in one! This apartment may be vivid and real in your mind, but to others the fact is it doesn't exist yet, and people are going to be more interested in apartments that do exist. I am really surprised that you managed to get a booking already – that is an achievement.
I get about 300 hits a month on my site but I dont know how many of these are genuine hits.
Bear in mind that a hit is not a visitor to your site – each time an image or file is called up for your website, that is a hit, so 300 hits may only represent a handful of visitors.
I have posted adds on loads of free sites about 15!!
Free sites are icing on the cake, if you get an enquiry from them that’s a nice bonus, but I wouldn’t even think of them as part of your marketing strategy. I would get on the 3 or 4 best performing listing sites for your location and accommodation type, and that will mean dipping into the piggy bank. :D

But until you have pictures that show this apartment is ready, I wouldn’t expect too much from anything that you do.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
sazzleevans

Post by sazzleevans »

Hi Paolo

Thanks for your advise. I agree. I know it exists and I know it will be up and running for the summer but as I agree as a customer it may seem like taking a big risk.

I got my one booking off holiday-rentals.com. The site seems to be widley praised by members on this site and I also tend to agree.

All the best.

SARAH