Would appreciate any feedback on my rental listing

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Tivoli

Post by Tivoli »

Definitely give it a name! Even if it's Meltorremolinos it can still be "Meltorremolinos - top floor apartment handy for quick weekend breaks". Scrub the 'free Wifi' By all means keep Wifi but nobody charges for it so including the word 'free' would be as bizarre as writing 'wifi - tuppence a kilo'. I haven't read the blurb but others say it's good and direct and not flowery, so that's good. Similarly I have not looked at the pics, others say room for improvement so I believe them.
My rule of thumb is that you want to make it appealing enough to attract guests but you do not want to dress mutton as lamb because disappointed guests write shitty reviews which can ruin your business. So make it as good as you can possibly make it and then slightly under-sell it so that it's all better in reality than it is in the advert.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

+1

It really is worth spending a long time on your photos - especially if you can't just pop back to take another one. If you can buy or borrow a decent camera (digital SLR if possible) you'll see a big difference. A tripod also helps you avoid blurred photos and you can set up your shot and try it with things in different places without moving the camera.

The dining table with balcony and sea view beyond is the best shot - even better with the table laid for dinner and an open bottle of wine and 2 glasses ready to drink. I could just see myself there, which is what you're aiming for.

How about something on the balcony tables - a pair of coffee cups, some local pastries & a book? Do something different on each balcony to help make it visually clearer that there are 2. Maybe cushions or a throw to make them look more comfy.

You can get across the idea of wi-fi by putting a tablet/iPad in one of the photos with a local website on screen.

Try taking the same photos with lights on and off to see which looks better.

Some of your photos have some odd angles in - if you can't get hold of a tripod make sure that you're holding the camera/phone upright (not tilted) and lower than you would usually do so the photos are more 'square on'.

Hope that helps :D
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

+1 to everything Joanna said. Always take photos when it's sunny - I have found that a sunny day + lights on + flash makes for lovely light bright photos. Try every possible angle and really think about how to dress your rooms and hide anything ugly like plugs/sockets etc. There is nothing more annoying than checking your shots afterwards to find the perfect photo but with a pair of discarded shoes or something in the corner!
CSE

Post by CSE »

A tripod also helps you avoid blurred photos
A camera that has a good range of settings and a steady hand will also be good.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Melb

Post by Melb »

Hi all just wanted to report back and say thanks so much for your continuing comments. I am taking them all on board and actually thinking how little effort we did put into the photos and actually how important they really are to try and persuade people to choose your place out of all the many they have to choose from.

I have not actually been over there for nearly a year due to illness but am hoping to be there next month so will dust off my partner's Canon camera and take a few props in my hand luggage! The photos were taken with his mobile phone!

Will just have to hope for some blue skies and sun to help with the photos.

thanks again x