Does the UK have top quality holiday cottages?

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

You couldn't put a king size in my French apartment bedroom, but it is a continental double which is larger and longer than a UK one. Well, I suppose you could, but there would be no room for bedside tables, chest of drawers etc.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

visitslovenija wrote:I honestly can't fathom why the Brits put up with 4'6" beds. It would never be tolerated on the Continent. So maybe you are loosing business from that....

Can you imagine a quality hotel putting 4'6" beds in their double rooms? They would never survive.
My properties have tiny bedrooms and I have 4'6" beds. If I had a five foot one, one side would have to be up against a wall and you'd have to climb over one side to get in. I don't think that's ideal either.

I've stayed in a many a good quality hotel with simply a double bed. I like larger beds and choose them if I can, but there are many successful small hotels out there still doing ok with their doubles.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Re. the little bed issue. It's horses for courses on beds. If you can't fit a bigger one, then you can't fit a bigger one! Personally, I can't book anywhere that has anything less than a super king (or American King) having a 6'6" husband who has to sleep diagonally in a smaller one, (leaving a small triangle for moi) especially if it has a dreaded footboard as well! So you lose a small percentage of the market like ourselves.

Ironically, I never thought of the footboard problem when I was furnishing my own cottage. I have changed the double bed to no footboard and it is a super king, but have left the twin beds with footboards as they are more likely to house Grannies and children. I don't get many two couple parties. Ideally, I would change those too as I know how uncomfortable it is for my tall husband and sons if they are faced with that.
bessie

Post by bessie »

Well I don't have a leather sofa,my double bed is not king size .My little cottage is not 5 star but 3 star gold but I certainly don't class it as rubbish.It is a cosy English Heritage grade II with oak beams and hand made kitchen units.Sorry but I love my cottage and accept it's not for everyone,and I don't have set changeover days.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

bessie wrote:Well I don't have a leather sofa,my double bed is not king size .My little cottage is not 5 star but 3 star gold but I certainly don't class it as rubbish.It is a cosy English Heritage grade II with oak beams and hand made kitchen units.Sorry but I love my cottage and accept it's not for everyone,and I don't have set changeover days.
Ditto. Ww don't do Sun to Sun, not many do.We do have an inexpensive cooker if you call £450.00 inexpensive. We are obviously not of 'superior quality' enough for some tastes but we have very many 5* reviews so it's patently apparrent that we fit many guests asprations. I work hard to please my guests which is why we have so many returnees.