Buying domains for SEO?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Jenster

Buying domains for SEO?

Post by Jenster »

I know very little about SEO and how it works but I am keen to learn more and help my website become more 'findable' in Google search results. So far I have only had direct bookings through people finding me from OD or ABB except for one person who found me on Google Maps :)

It occurred to me that if I bought a domain name that corresponded with a common search term for my area (eg [myarea]apartments or [myarea]holidaylets) and directed it to my primary url it might help SEO?

I could do this fairly cheaply and it might serve me in the future anyway as I hope to buy more lets in my village at some point and would then use the extra domain as my primary URL. Or would this just cost me money and be no help at all?

Thanks
Jenny
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

A re-direct is unlikely to help - the site will rank poorly if people don't spend any time on it. You could have an entirely fresh site aimed at a different audience so the pages are all different from your original website but I doubt it's going to be worth the effort unless you get more properties...
CSE

Post by CSE »

Review your website via SEO add-on for your browser. www.seoquake.com.
or this one on line. Which gives slightly different ideas on what should be tackled.
https://www.woorank.com
It will help you find what is missing.
Spend an evening or two reading this. http://searchengineland.com/guide/what-is-seo
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Thanks Newtimber, I thought it was probably too easy. I just wondered if someone put in the exact search term of the domain name it might come up...but I can see that it would rank poorly if there was no content associated with it and no one spent any time on it.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Thanks for the info casasantoestevo, will take a look when I get a chance. Must have cross-posted with you!