New outside rattan sofa cushions

For anything to do with the garden and pool
b_javea

New outside rattan sofa cushions

Post by b_javea »

Anybody know a good source for replacement covers? Our current ones are ok, but would like a spare set if possible.

We bought the furniture second hand (unbranded) so no idea where it was from - and I've never seen anything like it.

They seem to be deep cushions - any larger than many replacements (eg IKEA).

I have found a couple of websites that do bespoke cushions made to measure - but it's coming out at over £1,000 (would be cheaper to buy new furniture)

Any ideas?
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

With regards bespoke cushions - we had three bench-length ones made by a local independent shop - and it cost about 60 euros for all three. We provided the fabric (which cost about 40 euros as far as i remember). This was quite basic foam that they cut to our specifications and made zip-around covers from the fabric. There was all sorts of foam/filling to choose from. Perhaps there's a shop like this in your nearest big town?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Yes I was going to suggest going to a local upholster. Spain has a lot of these small shops. They cut the cushions from foam....or will make up covers to fit existing. We have used them a lot.
If you're not sure if you have one local then try the boating community as they will get covers and seats made for boats. ...or the local toldos shop, as they often do upholstery.
Finally. ...if you have a local residents facebook page ask on that.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
b_javea

Post by b_javea »

Mouse wrote:Yes I was going to suggest going to a local upholster. Spain has a lot of these small shops. They cut the cushions from foam....or will make up covers to fit existing. We have used them a lot.
If you're not sure if you have one local then try the boating community as they will get covers and seats made for boats. ...or the local toldos shop, as they often do upholstery.
Finally. ...if you have a local residents facebook page ask on that.

Mousie
x

Thanks!

Yes will look out for these sort of shops when next there (usually only Brit expat companies get mentioned on the local FB page - the ones that charge £1000+)
Circé

Post by Circé »

Does't anybody know how to sew these days? Making cushion covers isn't difficult. If you don't know or have forgotten how to turn box corners or whatever a quick google will turn up a Youtube tutorial.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Yes, Circe, but you don't just need the ability/knowledge, you need both a working sewing machine and the fabric - plus of course, the time and the inclination. Even those who are keen sewers will not necessarily want to spend precious time sourcing the right fabric, cutting out, sewing and finishing, they may well consider their money and time better spent for somebody else to make the covers for them. And, of course, somebody who makes cushion covers for a living should be able to turn out a more professional set of covers, and much quicker, than a well-intentioned amateur.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
b_javea

Post by b_javea »

PW in Polemi wrote:Yes, Circe, but you don't just need the ability/knowledge, you need both a working sewing machine and the fabric - plus of course, the time and the inclination. Even those who are keen sewers will not necessarily want to spend precious time sourcing the right fabric, cutting out, sewing and finishing, they may well consider their money and time better spent for somebody else to make the covers for them. And, of course, somebody who makes cushion covers for a living should be able to turn out a more professional set of covers, and much quicker, than a well-intentioned amateur.
Well said!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have to confess I wouldn't know where to start to make replacement covers for my furniture.
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

In the past I made my own covers and the results have not been too bad - but you also need the space and a steady hand if you are going to attempt piping. Now, I would just use a local workshop - you have to seek these out, often hidden away but, as an example, I have discovered two within a few hundred metres of our apartment in central Malaga. Prices are good too.
Circé

Post by Circé »

b_javea wrote:
PW in Polemi wrote:Yes, Circe, but you don't just need the ability/knowledge, you need both a working sewing machine and the fabric - plus of course, the time and the inclination. Even those who are keen sewers will not necessarily want to spend precious time sourcing the right fabric, cutting out, sewing and finishing, they may well consider their money and time better spent for somebody else to make the covers for them. And, of course, somebody who makes cushion covers for a living should be able to turn out a more professional set of covers, and much quicker, than a well-intentioned amateur.
I dispute that last sentence!!!!!!
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Circé wrote:
PW in Polemi wrote:And, of course, somebody who makes cushion covers for a living should be able to turn out a more professional set of covers, and much quicker, than a well-intentioned amateur.
I dispute that last sentence!!!!!!
Why? (I did say "should", after all, not "will".) :)
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!