Personalised maps for websites & guests

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Personalised maps for websites & guests

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

I am in the process of re designing my new website & as part of the template you get the usual google maps ,however i want to create ( or get created ) a local village map that i can put local amenities ie bakers ,bus stops ,local restaurants ( not google registered ) as the village does not have a tourist office so nothing has been created for me to hand out to guests so on arrival i end up looking & sounding like one of those trolly dollies on the airlines doing their safety check demos
And I am not one to get the crayons out myself and try a simple line sketch and i am not the best technical graphic designer on a pc
So any sugestions please 🤓
When it comes to wine, I tell people to invest in a good corkscrew. The best way to learn about wine is the drinking

The truth is the best German wine remains in Germany
So forget your memories of Blue Nun & Black Tower
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

You can create personalised maps like this with Google My Maps. See mine on my website. I followed instructions on the Promote My Place blog.
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

Here's the previous thread on the subject: http://www.laymyhat.com/forum/viewtopic ... light=maps
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

On my list. I've already started one, so probably time to think about completion.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

That's lovely, Neat and Picky! I hadn't thought of that and missed the PMP blog. Although with one shop and two pubs, my immediate area is going to look a bit bare. :)

Looking at Google maps, now rather worryingly I see that I had prepared a google map to get travellers from the nearest town to me, over a year ago. I had completely forgotten this and never put it on my website. This is another good way of using mymaps and you can pinpoint things along the way like 'the church is on your right' to get them safely there. My village is particularly confusing with lots of little lanes and people regularly get lost. I must remember to give them a link to this, if not embed (a little worried about leading the burglars to my door!).
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Thank you all for your replies , as i am just editing information to load on to a new website template in fact i am looking a PMP
This is something i am doing over the winter to launch in 2017
So if any PMP users want to PM me a referal code i would be happy to use it when ready

😃
When it comes to wine, I tell people to invest in a good corkscrew. The best way to learn about wine is the drinking

French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Another vote for Google maps - I have several, for directions from various places, markets, food shops etc etc. They're not on my public website, but guests get access to them from my arrival pack, which is actually a password protected website - and they're used (and downloaded) a lot.
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Thanks FC

I like you idea of a password protected arrival pack , i am thinking of a guest information section ( only accessible when a booking is confirmed ) giving a various info to help with their stay also this does away with all the various brochures/ leaflets i have to keep up dating & tidying or desposing the ones used as drink coasters etc
But it is something i only want available to booked guests & not open on my main website as i have done so much work in the past only to find neighbouring properties copying with the tiny little word edit 😡

French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Zur Alten Weinkelter wrote:Thanks FC

i am thinking of a guest information section ( only accessible when a booking is confirmed ) giving a various info to help with their stay also this does away with all the various brochures/ leaflets i have to keep up dating & tidying or desposing the ones used as drink coasters etc
But it is something i only want available to booked guests & not open on my main website as i have done so much work in the past only to find neighbouring properties copying with the tiny little word edit 😡
Yep, we went brochure/leaflet free a couple of years ago too, and now have all our local info on line - some of it is stuff we've written, some is based around links to local sites. We provide a Chromebook with its own Google account where I've set up a whole 'library' of bookmarks, all organised by section and sub section. Guests can log into the dedicated Google account from their own devices if they choose, once they've received the arrival pack which contains log-in links. It's a bit of a job checking the links a few times a year, but worth it. And it seems to be working in that guests are now not bringing back masses of paper that then needs to be disposed of. That grieved me - such a waste of paper!

I thought about a password protected area of my main site but then decided it was easier to set up a dedicated site. So I did. I'm so happy with the system that I'm replicating it for our new cottage.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I have just sent you a code Zur Alten Weinkelter. Although we both gain by this, I would happily recommend PMP ad infinitum, without reward, because I have never ever had cause to complain about them. They are the nicest, most accommodating people and that counts for a lot when we are constantly thwarted in our efforts by bl***y listing sites!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Drat! I think Felicity has beaten me to it, as I have also sent you a code.
Fully agree with what she says about PMP.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I haven't done that for a while Zebedee as I have been giving others a chance :D However, saving for my next subscription now!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I now have an online welcome book too, but I've used Touchstay. There is an annual fee of course, so if I could find something cheaper I would transfer it.. A Google account might be the way forward.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Do you think people actually read your online book, Hells Bells? I started sending out my house book in advance but I am still answering the same old questions when they arrive (even though it is also there in a file in front of them...). Perhaps being on site, they see me as a sort of SIRI and they would bother to read if they had to.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Zur Alten Weinkelter wrote:Thanks FC

I like you idea of a password protected arrival pack , i am thinking of a guest information section ( only accessible when a booking is confirmed ) giving a various info to help with their stay also this does away with all the various brochures/ leaflets i have to keep up dating & tidying or desposing the ones used as drink coasters etc
We are between a rock on a hard place on that really. On the one hand, because Google likes interesting content, we are pushing our properties up in the searches by packing the listing full of interesting bits. On the other we are handing our hard work on writing essays of information to the toe rags who steal copy. I even had a town tourist site steal mine (and not change a word!).