VOTE PLEASE Best "ending" for a website name? Your

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
seaturtle

VOTE PLEASE Best "ending" for a website name? Your

Post by seaturtle »

Can you kind people help me choosing a website name...

villasicily.com has been registered & they want "silly money" for it

So I'm left with

villasicily.org
villasicily.info
villasicily.xyz
villasicily.net
villasicily.store

I suppose I prefer the the first two at the top.

Will my choice of "ending"'(.org etc) affect the search listings at all?

Many thanks

Seaturtle
nealh

Post by nealh »

Have you tried the different variations - eg sicilyvilla, villainsicily, holidayvillasicily etc etc before you go for one of the other dot blahblahs? If your main market is from UK then a .co.uk could be an option. I seem to recall some promotional emails about a .holiday extension now being available - maybe another avenue to explore?

I am no expert so others may be able to give better advice, but I seem to recall reading there is little difference in search results with the different extensions. Where the extension does matter is when someone just puts in, for example, 'villasicily' in the address bar, then the .com version will get pulled up before anything else. Again, not sure if this is fact but in the back of my mind I seem to recall reading this somewhere... would be interested to know if the grey matter is still reliable enough or is it letting me down!
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

What is the proper name for the end of a web/email? Is it a 'suffix'?

Anyway '.org' sounds a bit to government organisation, you're a villa not a store, .xyz sounds a bit fake and .net sounds too computery!

.info would be my choice.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
seaturtle

Post by seaturtle »

nealh wrote:Have you tried the different variations - eg sicilyvilla, villainsicily, holidayvillasicily etc etc before you go for one of the other dot blahblahs?!
That is a very good plan... just Googling away at it now with a pencil paper & cup of tea. Many thanks
seaturtle

Post by seaturtle »

Sam V wrote:What is the proper name for the end of a web/email? Is it a 'suffix'?

Anyway '.org' sounds a bit to government organisation, you're a villa not a store, .xyz sounds a bit fake and .net sounds too computery!

.info would be my choice.
Agreed on each point! Info has the thumbs up here too.... it's just what comes beforehand that we have to figure out. Sicily villa Villa Sicily.... thanks Sam
nealh

Post by nealh »

Just noticed my suggestion of 'villa in sicily' put together makes villain sicily... rather appropriate with it's links to the mafia?!?!? :D
seaturtle

Post by seaturtle »

nealh wrote:Just noticed my suggestion of 'villa in sicily' put together makes villain sicily... rather appropriate with it's links to the mafia?!?!? :D
After a few years here with a dog & a Remington "I'll say nothing!"
paolo

Post by paolo »

If you are thinking of using .info then you have given up on the idea that someone may remember your address anyway, because people only remember .com. So you may as well choose either villa-sicily.com or sicily-villa.com, and nobody will remember to include the hyphen.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
CSE

Post by CSE »

For me, villa Sicily is aiming at English speakers only and it covers too much of area of land.
Unless you intend to run more than one Villa on the island then maybe you should rethink this idea.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

casasantoestevo wrote:For me, villa Sicily is aiming at English speakers only and it covers too much of area of land.
Unless you intend to run more than one Villa on the island then maybe you should rethink this idea.
+1.
Your site won't be found with a natural search on Google and guests won't be able to find your place from a listing site either as it isn't distinctive enough to show on a normal search. You'd be better off calling your place Villa Seaturtle and getting a domain name villaseaturtle.com :D
vfmfca

Best ending for a website name

Post by vfmfca »

I have seen people make mistakes on their own hotmail email addresses ie co.uk or com so the chances of people remembering anything other than com or co.uk is doubtful. I would use co.uk if your market is the uk or com if not. I would use your villa name or business name if you trade as a Ltd company or have more than one property. Good luck!
The past, present and future walk into a bar, it was tense!
Administrator of Holiday Home Rentals Facebook Group (List you Holiday Rental) https://www.facebook.com/groups/812251865631382/
pambon

Post by pambon »

casasantoestevo wrote:For me, villa Sicily is aiming at English speakers only and it covers too much of area of land.
+1

Sicilianvilla??
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Sam V wrote:What is the proper name for the end of a web/email? Is it a 'suffix'?
The proper name for it is Top Level Domain, usually referred by the obvious acronym TLD.

Well, you did ask !
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
seaturtle

Post by seaturtle »

paolo wrote:If you are thinking of using .info then you have given up on the idea that someone may remember your address anyway, because people only remember .com. So you may as well choose either villa-sicily.com or sicily-villa.com, and nobody will remember to include the hyphen.
Thanks Paolo.... I think you're right about the .com. Now will try put this all together before your people sit down for Christmas dinner.
seaturtle

Re: Best ending for a website name

Post by seaturtle »

vfmfca wrote:I have seen people make mistakes on their own hotmail email addresses ie co.uk or com so the chances of people remembering anything other than com or co.uk is doubtful. I would use co.uk if your market is the uk or com if not. I would use your villa name or business name if you trade as a Ltd company or have more than one property. Good luck!
Points taken many thanks for writing vfmfca