2017 Prices after pound crash

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Comparing yourself to the likes of an international business like Ryanair is really a step too far. You are just one person with just one or two properties trying to make some money. You are not a multi National business.

So you have to price in one currency. If it is pounds then that market is limited. If your bank cannot take anything other than pounds then you are also limited. Thus your market is limited.

The pound has recently risen on the markets are you all going to change your rates yet again?
http://www.poundsterlingforecast.com/

We do not have a co.uk website because of the way search engines limit the results to UK costumes.
We have guests from all over the world, we price in Euros because that is the currency we have in Spain. However if we went to stay in a property elsewhere in so called Euroland then we would not expect to see prices in anything other than Euros. The same too for the UK but in GBP.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

casasantoestevo wrote: Seeing as your website is a co.uk your prices will have to be in pounds as that is a UK based domain name.
Cymraes wrote: Can you link to the legal requirement for .co.uk sites to show prices in £s?
casasantoestevo wrote:Ho, you are so disturbingly troublesome and you know that. That is not what was said that is very obvious.
I don’t understand the accusation of “troublesome”?
Cymraes has asked exactly the question I was going to ask. You state that
casasantoestevo wrote:Seeing as your website is a co.uk your prices will have to be in pounds as that is a UK based domain name.
which is an unambiguous statement and I would also like to know where this requirement is decreed.
Sorry if you think that’s troublesome, but it is a very important statement affecting a lot of people. There are a lot of owners who are UK based with properties in France and who currently price in euros; if they’re all in breach of some law that could affect their businesses then the source of that information is important to know, and as Cymraes says:
Cymraes wrote: I'm sure we would all find it useful
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We most certainly would, I am one of the ones it would affect if that is the case.
vfmfca

Post by vfmfca »

casasantoestevo wrote:Comparing yourself to the likes of an international business like Ryanair is really a step too far. You are just one person with just one or two properties trying to make some money. You are not a multi National business.

So you have to price in one currency. If it is pounds then that market is limited. If your bank cannot take anything other than pounds then you are also limited. Thus your market is limited.

The pound has recently risen on the markets are you all going to change your rates yet again?
http://www.poundsterlingforecast.com/

We do not have a co.uk website because of the way search engines limit the results to UK costumes.
We have guests from all over the world, we price in Euros because that is the currency we have in Spain. However if we went to stay in a property elsewhere in so called Euroland then we would not expect to see prices in anything other than Euros. The same too for the UK but in GBP.
I dont make assumptions about people or compare myself to Ryanair. The facts are that I am new to renting holiday property so I am open to all opinions. I have a Chartered Accountants practice in the UK I don't have to price in one currency I have bank accounts in Pounds and bank accounts in Euros so I am not limited I can set my prices in Pounds or Euros it is my choice. I have not changed my prices up or down but I am am listening to everyboby elses thoughts. The website you quote https://www.names.co.uk/domain-names/gu ... -extension is part of an Italian company and not an official website. You should remember almost half of UK residents voted to remain in the EU, many of us love Spain and Europe I would like to walk the Camino de Santiago some day and see your part of Spain. Best wishes Vincent Mather
The past, present and future walk into a bar, it was tense!
Administrator of Holiday Home Rentals Facebook Group (List you Holiday Rental) https://www.facebook.com/groups/812251865631382/
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I don't have anything to add to this rather bizarre discussion other than to say to you, vfmfca, that I'm sorry you've had a rough ride so early on in your Lay My Hat 'career'.

We're mostly rather helpful and constructive, so please don't be put off :wink:
COYS

Post by COYS »

Jeez. I thought I'd heard it all, but clearly not.
I have had our co.uk for 17 years nearly. In that time we have had guests from all corners of the planet find & book through it.
The rental is in Greece.
We are resident in the UK.
We price in pounds sterling - always. If a currency exchange is required, it's calculated at the prevailing rate. All currencies fluctuate, sometimes we win, sometimes we lose, but rarely by significant sums. Hardly worth getting your knickers in a twist.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Hi Vincent

We have just had to give fixed euro prices for the house to a Spanish agency we use - even though we advertise in pounds sterling.

Now we're thinking of having fixed euro rates alongside our sterling rates to make it easy for the increasing number of euro-zone guests to see clear and transparent prices.

It will of course mean that sometime the sterling or euro is more favorable due to the big swings in value - and it may mean we are a bit out of kilter with whatever OD et al are converting the price to. But I think we can handle that.

I do see some websites with fixed Euro and Sterling rates rather than an auto-converter so it does work for some.

Best wishes
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My own rates are fixed in euros. That is where my apartment is, and where 95% of my expenses are. Anything in sterling is usually purchases I am making myself to take with me on my next visit.
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

greenbarn wrote:
casasantoestevo wrote: Seeing as your website is a co.uk your prices will have to be in pounds as that is a UK based domain name.
Cymraes wrote: Can you link to the legal requirement for .co.uk sites to show prices in £s?
casasantoestevo wrote:Ho, you are so disturbingly troublesome and you know that. That is not what was said that is very obvious.
I don’t understand the accusation of “troublesome”?
Cymraes has asked exactly the question I was going to ask. You state that
casasantoestevo wrote:Seeing as your website is a co.uk your prices will have to be in pounds as that is a UK based domain name.
which is an unambiguous statement and I would also like to know where this requirement is decreed.
Sorry if you think that’s troublesome, but it is a very important statement affecting a lot of people. There are a lot of owners who are UK based with properties in France and who currently price in euros; if they’re all in breach of some law that could affect their businesses then the source of that information is important to know, and as Cymraes says:
Cymraes wrote: I'm sure we would all find it useful
Methinks the problem here is one of the subtleties of language - in this case the grammatical deficiencies of English in the case of 'ought', 'should' and 'must', these having no future and past tense and therefore requiring use to be made of tenses of 'have'. Even more of a problem is that 'have to' generally sounds as as strong as 'must'.

I imagine casasantoestevo is using 'will have to' in an advisory way, where possibly 'should ideally', or 'would be advised to' would have generated fewer reactions, and that casasantoestevo didn't actually intend what was said to sound like a legal obligation!

To illustrate the dangers of this whole area - long long ago, a Dutch friend of ours, who would shortly be moving to the UK to get married, had told us about her then-fiancé's reaction to her announcing to his friends one evening in the pub: "Tom must transport all my belongings from Holland". Afterwards, he said to her, "Never again will you tell me what I must do,". (She had been mentally translating from Dutch 'zal moeten').
vfmfca

Post by vfmfca »

Sunbeam wrote: Now we're thinking of having fixed euro rates alongside our sterling rates to make it easy for the increasing number of euro-zone guests to see clear and transparent prices.

I do see some websites with fixed Euro and Sterling rates rather than an auto-converter so it does work for some.

Best wishes
That's the way I think I should go if we are going to get more booking from outside the UK. I need to look at our Promote my Place website to check if it is possible to have fixed Euro prices and may be request this as an option on Owners Direct / HomeAway non UK websites.
The past, present and future walk into a bar, it was tense!
Administrator of Holiday Home Rentals Facebook Group (List you Holiday Rental) https://www.facebook.com/groups/812251865631382/
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I have never had prices in anything other than euros since the introduction of the euro. I live in Spain and all my expenses are in Spain. It's bad enough that our pensions are worth so much less than a year ago without losing out on rental exchange rates.

We offer the opportunity for UK guests to pay in sterling at the prevailing rate at any point during the process and some choose to pay well before they need to in order to fix a rate that suits them . Nowadays we suggest they open a Transferwise account to get the best rate and get the money straight into our Spanish account.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

You can set your rates on Promote my Place in whichever currency you choose. My own rates table is from PIMS, but I could just as easily do it in euros on PMP.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

PS it is a whole lot easier to explain to a UK guest that you need payment in euros because that is where the house is than to try explaining to a Eurozone guest why you would want payment in sterling for a rental in the Eurozone!😂😂
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

+1. Despite the co.uk web address, I have a split of French and UK visitors. All pay in euros, with one exception, who had his UK cheque (which I also didn't accept) returned. I wouldn't even have the French guests if I didn't have the price in euros.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Hells Bells wrote: I wouldn't even have the French guests if I didn't have the price in euros.
Yet we regularly get French guests & have only ever priced in £'s.
I don't think there is a magic formula - the cost is what it is, if they are happy with that it makes little difference what the headline currency happens to be.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.