FB better late than never!

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
COYS

FB better late than never!

Post by COYS »

OK, I know its 2016 but I confess I am a Facebook virgin. In all honesty I'm not a naturally gregarious soul, so the whole social media circus is out of my comfort zone. However, considering the shifting sands of our industry, I thought it's about time I dipped my toes in & where better to come for some no nonsense advice?
I realise that I need a personal profile to set up a business page but are the two forever inextricably linked? Or can I maintain the business page regardless of the personal profile page - for which I'd have no further use after initial setup.
It's really not my thing & I can't imagine that I will become a hugely interesting or prolific user (I have twittered the odd promo occasionally) but I can see that it is better to have an FB presence than have not & our website is already optimized for SM integration, so the time has come & I am, if nothing else, an avid learner.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
nealh

Post by nealh »

I also came to the FB party quite late... I started our page just last year. I don't really know the intricacies of it to be honest, and I suspect if I did, then I would be a bit further ahead than I am. At times it feels like wading through treacle.

That said I have noticed a slow upward trend with the number of people that see the posts and some even leave comments now. I have 66 likes and have had the odd post get views up into the 100s. It is hard work to keep the plate spinning.

I think it is worthwhile not so much because I am expecting a booking via FB, rather that it keeps us in the minds of people. Then when they are thinking of a holiday or their friends mention they are looking for somewhere to go, we are there at the front of the queue.

I believe there are some very effective users of social media on LMH - I am not - but like you, always willing to learn a few tricks of the trade! Pretty sure one of the 'secrets' is to have a regular posting schedule. It's no good posting half a dozen times this week and then nothing for the next month for example.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Thanks nealh, I am currently knee deep in the aforementioned treacle. Just gauging the actual set up is giving me cause for a lie down.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Nemo did a very useful thread on creating a FB page. Have a search, you will find it. Think it was earlier this year.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Thanks. I did read through it, along with several other tutorials.
Still can't work out if I can leave the personal profile alone after launching the business page or when I'm actually one or the other!
nealh

Post by nealh »

Not sure if it is the right thing to do, but our personal page is set so that no one sees it by adjusting the privacy settings. We just use the business page. Again, I am not an expert on FB so might be missing a trick so very happy to be told 'you don't want to be doing it like that, you want to be doing it like this'.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Yes you can just leave your personal page alone once you have set it up. I very rarely post on or use mine. I usually switch to 'like and share as your page' to like/share interesting stuff about my area, and I try to post something original on my page once a week or so. Sometimes it's just an interesting photo of our village or apartment with a bit of info, eg 'decorating for Christmas' or 'rough seas today'. Sometimes it's a short description of a local attraction or restaurant with a photo. I don't find it easy either, and have had limited success, but I figure at least it adds authenticity to my website to also have a quality facebook page people can visit, and there is always the chance guests will like and share it to thereby spread the word. Some do, some don't, my page likes and reach are similar to nealh. I do think though that if you have a page you need to post to it regularly, I read somewhere that a halfhearted or abandoned page is worse than none at all as it creates a negative impression of your rental.
russellt

Post by russellt »

Jenster wrote: I figure at least it adds authenticity to my website
Interesting thread. I too am a FB newbie and am looking at a FB business page for a new venture I am embarking upon. So, I am visiting random websites to see how people are using the FB link. (stalking?? yikes!!) .
Your website has a FB 'like' button at the top of the page, but it doesn't take me to your FB page. Am i missing something?

(As I say, complete FB n00b. Please enlighten me). :?
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

No, the FB like button is just for people to like my website...it then shows up in their friends feeds as 'so and so likes seashells porthtowan'. I post in a few local buy and sell groups now and again and always get one or two website likes out of it - this increases website clicks and I hope helps SEO and also increases my FB visibility. There is another fb button in the side bar or at the bottom of the page (depending what device you are on) which takes you to my page. You've made me think perhaps I should make it more visible.
russellt

Post by russellt »

Jenster wrote:There is another fb button in the side bar
:) Got it. thx. With FB, I'm like a rabbit staring at the headlights. It just seems like a blur of visual noise - maybe coz I have consciously avoided FB for years. Time to dip my toe in the water.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
COYS

Post by COYS »

russellt wrote: With FB, I'm like a rabbit staring at the headlights. It just seems like a blur of visual noise - maybe coz I have consciously avoided FB for years.
Ditto.
As far as I can make out, you are unable to interact 'as your business page' i.e can only follow or join groups etc as an individual, which sort of defeats the object of making a separate page.
If I'm mistaken, I hope someone can point me the right way as I don't think I can face immersion in the swamp of banality that seems to pervade FB on a personal level.

BTW Jenster, that sidebar link only goes to a button generator page on Mac (Safari)
nealh

Post by nealh »

I can comment as my business page by (if I recall correctly) clicking on an arrow on the right and selecting my business page on the drop down menu. You also do this if you want to share posts as your business
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

You can also like other pages (local attractions, businesses etc) as your page, at least on a desktop. Go to 'more' beside the like and share buttons at the top of the page and choose 'like as your page'.

Thanks for the heads up on the FB button coys, not sure why that is, will have to look into it.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Yep I was aware of the 'like as my page' option but I don't see similar options for joining groups?
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

COYS wrote:Yep I was aware of the 'like as my page' option but I don't see similar options for joining groups?
Yes, I think you have to join groups as a person not as a page