Cancellation - how to get money off them

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
sas401

Cancellation - how to get money off them

Post by sas401 »

Had a booking in late nov for a short break in january. At the time I had an offer of a reduced deposit for any 2017 bookings of only £25. Lady paid the deposit and asked if she could pay the remainder at the end of december when she gets paid. I agreed (must be too soft) and sent her a reminder on the 28th dec. No word from her. Second message a bit more stern and reminding her I had given her much longer than normal to pay and that it was now overdue. Finally a day later got a message back sorry a member of the family is ill and they cant come.
I sympathised but pointed out that the balance remains due and named the T&C's in the contract. No money forthcoming and no word since. Have cancelled dates but annoyed as could have let those dates to others who enquired.
Any idea on how to get the money off them, any template letters that I can use to send to her in the post??

Thanks for any help
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Threaten the small claims court (or whatever it is called now) and be prepared to follow through.

I never take a reduced deposit for just this reason. It has to be enough money for the guests to take the booking seriously.
sas401

Post by sas401 »

Yes, lesson learnt already on that, deposit will be increased i think instead of reduced!
Have you had to follow through with the small claims court?
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Not for the holiday let business. They get a couple of days grace to pay the balance or I will release the dates.

I have in the past sued through the small claims court. It was very straightforward and I got the money owed to me.