The Cottage Cooperative

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Sandra J

The Cottage Cooperative

Post by Sandra J »

Are they still in business? The parent website www.thecottagecooperative.co.uk does not load. I listed with them in May last year and chose 3 of their sites at a cost of £48. Initially I got a couple of referrals to my website but no bookings at all. For about the last 6 months not a single one. I monitor Google Analytics to see which sites get referrals. Very disappointed and feel like I have wasted my time and money. Sent an email to them at the end of August and got no reply. Feels like a scam and will make me wary of listing with smaller companies again. Also listed on Next4Weeks a few months back and got nothing from them either. Out property normally gets about 35 weeks per year booked and I branched out to the smaller listing sites because we won't be renewing with Owners Direct. Has anyone else got any booking from these companies?
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

At least 2 of the 3 sites I list on run by the Cottage Cooperative are still live, so I didn't bother checking the 3rd.

I only advertise on small sites, don't use any agent or any big listing site. I think people need to see your property listed several times when they are booking direct with the owner, to know it isn't a scam listing.

I think the guys at the Cottage Cooperative have had a hard time from LMH. They have tried to implement a very good idea, but at the end of the day, it takes time for sites to get known.

The cost of advertising with them is minimal and they are always very helpful when I contact them. It's no good getting frustrated that you haven't had months of bookings when your investment in the site is so small.

But that's just me, (and I am not a "hobby owner" I do need to make money from my property). I try to be fair, and have no connection with Cottage Cooperative whatsoever apart from taking advantage of one of their offers to list on their sites.
Sandra J

Post by Sandra J »

At the very least I would expect my emails to get a reply from them. Taking money and then not replying is a scam in my book. My expectations from my £48 investment was a minimum of 1 booking to cover costs which I think is reasonable. When companies set up and take money for a service they have an obligation to at least be contactable if nothing else.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

They didn't reply to my emails when I was considering listing with them so I didn't! I considered if they didn't respond before they had my money they would be even less likely to do so afterwards.
SusiW

Post by SusiW »

I can't get the site to load either. I emailed them to ask if they'd gone bust - four days ago, no reply yet.....
I joined after a conversation on LMH a few months ago. They actually replied to my comments and I said I'd give them a try.
January is the busiest time of year, I have found, for new bookings. If you search the main website through a search engine, you will find that none of the links works. I feel sure they're gone and I, too, have wasted my money.
I've joined www.simplyowners.net
SusiW

Cottage CoOperative

Post by SusiW »

I just heard back from them. They are upgrading the website which is why, Tim Steinlet (tim@thecottagecooperative.co.uk) says I cannot access the site.
Tim also tells me they are "going from strength to strength".
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Funny time of year to upgrade. It's peak booking season!
SusiW

Post by SusiW »

Caro - Tim explained that it's just the main site that we can't access. Everyone should be able to access the site on which their property is registered "Beachside Holiday Cottages" or whatever.
I do think they are trying and at least its not a scam. They haven't run off with my money. That being said, I haven't had a single enquiry but then I only listed on the one site.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

sandyandy

Post by sandyandy »

Does anyone know whether this company is still running? My cottage is listed on a few of their links and I have had some success with bookings via them in the past. I tried ringing the other day to check when my renewal is due, but the line was dead and I also messaged them on Facebook but no reply.
it will all come out in the wash
Sandra J

Post by Sandra J »

Got an email from them about a month ago for my renewal. After a year we never got a single enquiry from the 3 sites we listed on. Tried to contacted them a few months ago without success. Didn't renew and they couldn't have cared less. Feels like £50 wasted and a bit of a scam.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hi Sandyandy, Have you tried to contact them via twitter? Hi if not pm me and I will dig out an email address.
I am listed on them and do get referrals to my website showing up on google analytics
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We're on some of their sites and do get referrals showing up in our stats. Difficult to know if any of them lead to bookings because they don't take enquiries through their sites. We renewed last month so I also have an up to date email address for them if you need it.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Brockles

Post by Brockles »

Susie W

Would you let us know of your experiences and results by listing on simplyowners.net? I am particularly interested in your opinion about enquirers having to submit personal information on a form before being allowed to link to 'Owners Website' or 'Owners email address'.