Sofas

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Kiz

Sofas

Post by Kiz »

Hi all, just wondering if you could offer me some advice. I've had my property for almost 2 years now and business is great, but I'm thinking of replacing some of the furniture especially the sofas as there are a few small signs of wear and tear (we bought the property fully furnished so not entirely sure how old everything is)
We currently have faux leather sofas, they do the job, but i'm honestly not too keen on them as to me they're abit too masculine for the look I want (lake view, country setting feel).
But, they wipe clean and guests don't seem to have created any tears or rips anywhere.
I was wondering whether fabric sofas are a good idea or not.... Would love your opinions from your experience :)
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We have fabric ones from M&S, if you do go down that route get arm covers made in the same fabric - they have saved us several times as it's a favourite spot for coffee spills. Also buy extra fabric in case you need to replace a panel. I too don't like the leather ones. Some say they are better if you take dogs but it's not been a problem for us.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Fabric covers get my vote too, but make sure you get replaceable covers. We go for IKEA Ektorp as as they have been around for ever aren't too expensive and you can get replacement covers for them. We have just bought2 second hand ones and are going to buy new covers for them, saved us a lot of money
OSINCLAIR

Post by OSINCLAIR »

We have Ikea Ektorp in the conservatory with throws to avoid sun damage and it has worn well. Thats if I dont think about the time I accidentally bleached one of the cushions. However for the living room we bought high quality but "preloved" leather sofas. We still get that country look with rugs, cushions and an open fire but much prefer the leather sofas as can easily just wipe clean!
BerylEden

Post by BerylEden »

We also have Ikea Ektorp sofas and we are very pleased with them. There's lots of covers to choose from, we chose machine washable ones, just be aware that some are dry clean only.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I'm another IKEA Ektorp fan!!

I started with an IKEA Hagalund sofa bed but it wasn't that comfortable and in the end I decided I was better off without a sofa bed..

Replaced Hagalund a year ago with Ektorp... bought 2 sets of covers - they look great however they are both rather pale... finished up using a throw over them to reduce the need for washing & ironing the covers
tchn

Post by tchn »

We picked up a factory outlet Multiyork sofa - it's been resilient over the last 5 years, but it has faded considerably and replacing the covers is more that the sofa originally cost us. Also it hides the dirt too well, which we only realised when we had it steam cleaned - filthy. I'm tempted to look at real leather next time - we have two chairs in it and they have done well.