The Latest OD Scam

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Tremewan

Post by Tremewan »

Oh, and the guy had the rudeness to put me on hold without notice during the call - I haven't hung up yet (that awful spanish guitar music is still playing away on my landline phone - at their expense!!) Now when shall I hang up...hmm maybe I'll leave it for a couple of hours (I can always use my mobile!)?
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

I have just done a quick OD search for my village and was shocked at how few places were on there. Definitely a lot fewer than this time last year. It seems they are losing inventory due to their lamentable tactics - at least where I am.
Tremewan

Post by Tremewan »

We've had two phone calls from OD in the past couple of days asking why (when we renewed) we didn't activate "Online Booking", so we gave them both barrels (in the nicest possible way, of course). We also let them know that we wouldn't be renewing our two other properties when they run out later in the year!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Perhaps its time to refer to this Expedia puppet organisation as:

"So Called OwnersDirect" :roll:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

e-richard wrote:Perhaps its time to refer to this Expedia puppet organisation as:

"So Called OwnersDirect" :roll:
+1
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

Slightly off topic, but I do have a good chuckle to myself every time an Owners Non-Direct/HomeAway advert appears on my Facebook timeline. There is inevitably a string of comments underneath from angry customers and owners about being fleeced and ripped off, followed by terrible cut and paste excuses from HomeAway.

It must be great exposure for them, which inevitably they are paying facebook for. :lol:

One thing seems abundantly clear from most of the comments: The 'Book With Confidence' guarantee that the clients get charged 9.6% for seems to provide the guest with no guarantees whatsoever. When things go wrong, HomeAway run a mile and provide no support at all. Great guarantee, chaps!
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

ManxRed1 wrote:Slightly off topic, but I do have a good chuckle to myself every time an Owners Non-Direct/HomeAway advert appears on my Facebook timeline. There is inevitably a string of comments underneath from angry customers and owners about being fleeced and ripped off, followed by terrible cut and paste excuses from HomeAway.

It must be great exposure for them, which inevitably they are paying facebook for. :lol:

One thing seems abundantly clear from most of the comments: The 'Book With Confidence' guarantee that the clients get charged 9.6% for seems to provide the guest with no guarantees whatsoever. When things go wrong, HomeAway run a mile and provide no support at all. Great guarantee, chaps!
And I've just read a couple of owners on comm have had their accounts disabled because they have too many bookings/calander blocked out and dates/booking not paid for through OD!
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

Sam V wrote: And I've just read a couple of owners on comm have had their accounts disabled because they have too many bookings/calander blocked out and dates/booking not paid for through OD!
What if the owners wanted to use it themselves? Would they still have to pay OD a Book With Confidence Travellers Fee?
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Sam V wrote:And I've just read a couple of owners on comm have had their accounts disabled because they have too many bookings/calander blocked out and dates/booking not paid for through OD!
I suppose the same could happen to subscription listers as well, because bookings through So Called Owners Direct now have the added complication of the TSF which SCOD take for themselves. However in either case they are, or would be, making assumptions without proof.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Yes, there is nothing (yet!) to say you can't advertise and take bookings on other sites, as well of course as using the property yourself.
Last edited by Jenster on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClareW

Post by ClareW »

Is this Online booking with owners direct instant booking? ie can you opt out of instant booking so that potential guests can send an enquiry which the owner can either accept or decline as with Airbnb? Then if you accept it, the guest books online... or does the guest just instantly book the holiday with no prior communication with the owner?
Barbara Ann

Post by Barbara Ann »

And, I read that they're going to block the phone numbers of people enquiring until they have already booked online.
Tremewan

Post by Tremewan »

Barbara Ann wrote:And, I read that they're going to block the phone numbers of people enquiring until they have already booked online.
That really would be a dirty trick