Multiple properties

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
isaxby

Multiple properties

Post by isaxby »

Hi

Currently we have a single property. Our website and social media accounts are named accordingly (onefishermansloft.co.uk etc.).

We did not plan it at the start, but now we are considering a second property, so my questions are:

1. One website or two? The current website has the property name embedded, and although we have only been going for about 3 months it has become reasonably well known so I am reluctant to change it. But then do I want the maintenance of two sites?

2. Same question for social media.

be really interested to know what others have done that have been through a similar situation.

Thanks

Ian
Essar

Post by Essar »

One only - brixhamselfcatering.co.uk is available.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Will the new property be in the same area as the current one and appeal to the same market? If so, one site for both properties so you're not duplicating content on 2 sites (local attractions, etc.). Search engines don't like duplicated content.

If they're in different areas and may appeal to different markets (like ours) then 2 websites with tailored content for each.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Also, we decided to change the name of one of our houses after a year or so which meant new domain name, etc. We redesigned the website at the same time and emailed all our guests to 'relaunch' it. It didn't seem to do any harm.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Hi Ian

We are still in the middle of this ourselves. We like you had an original site that was based on the property name. When we took on a second property we set up a new domain and updated the web site. We currently run the same pages on our original URL and the new one. I plan tracking activity on the original and will probably switch it to a redirect to the new one over time.

As others have said it will also depend on how the properties relate to each other. Ours are part of the same building so it makes sense to change.

Best of luck with the potential expansion.
elena

Post by elena »

I'm late to this post, I know, but I'm in the same postition here too .... we have had 7 cottages at the same address for 10 years and have since added a detached house with private pool in the next village.

Les Crouquets (the cottages) and La Tour de Genèbre (the house) have their own separate website and each has its own FB account.

The rest of the social media stuff (Google + /Instagram/ twitter etc)are all lumped under Les Crouquets which doesn't feel right to me but I just don't have enough time or different info to post in two places without a lot of duplication and I tend to share the FB posts to the other account anyway ...

I have been tempted to change all Les Crouquets' social media stuff to one generic name and just keep single accounts for both places making the house an extension of the holiday cottages....

any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Elena
www.lescrouquets.net
www.dordogne-holiday-villa.co.uk
man who stand on side of mountain with mouth open waiting for roast duck to fly in have long wait....