Heating not sufficient

For topics that are specific to Portugal, please go here.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Heating not sufficient

Post by Sam V »

I had French guests stay from 28 Dec- yesterday, 4th.

She's emailed me to say they had a lovely time, villa perfect but heating not sufficient. We have air con heaters in the bedrooms and one in the living room plive a wood burning stove. All detailed in the description, etc and electric blankets at extra cost if requested.

Obviously I have no control on the temperature and there's plenty of info to find out the average for the time of year. Just wondering if/what to reply. Ive noticed the past few days the average temps have been 17 daytime - 6/8 so, yes, cold evening but a little reasearch would suggest have plenty of warmer clothes!
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

I sympathise with your guests.It's miserable to be staying in chilly accommodation.

I would sympathise and politely suggest they light the woodburner towards the end of the afternoon so that at least that room is cosy for the evening. Remind them that electric blankets are available.

Sorry, just realised their stay has finished. Perhaps the suggestions I made could be used and sent to others who rent during the off season.
Fleur
kas33

Post by kas33 »

Our experience of French neighbours' and friends' homes is that generally they like to keep the place as warm as they can (24° is not uncommon) and walk around in light clothing, even t shirts, during the winter.

We could never get our old house warmer than 18° so we didn't have many willing visitors!
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Our cottage has full central heating and a very efficient gas "log effect" fire - but we still don't rent out the cottage in the winter months. We reckon that a cold couple staying for 2 weeks could use up more euros worth of gas in one week than we'd receive in total, plus of course, we have to have time to carry out all those repairs/general maintenance/upgrading projects.

SamV - do you make it plain in your advert/communications with winter visitors that generally speaking houses in Mediterranean countries are built to let the heat out (in summer), and therefore have the same effect in winter and so they need to bring appropriate clothes?! If your ceilings are high for cool in the summer, then the air con unit will be set up high too and so any warm air it generates will be well above where your guests are sitting .... plus there's that draught thing of the air being wafted past, lovely in summer but not so pleasant in winter.

Could you reply appreciating their kind comments, and mention that it was a shame they did not let you know during their stay that they were not warm enough - you would have offered whatever help was available (detail it, i.e. electric blankets/portable heaters/whatever).
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Thanks all. I'm now considering duvets (singles as we have twin/double bed options), but what tog rating? We could still add blankets on top and have optional electric blankets
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
aasta

Post by aasta »

we have 2 types of duvets...one for winter and one for summer which we usually put out in May until November....We have high quality down duvets and some of the higher quality Ikea hypo-allergenic ones which we put out for people allergic to feathers....
We were in the Algarve (near Tavira) for a week last February and were suprised that the climate was not any warmer or better than here!!! so you might want to consider the 2 tyoes of duvets...we traveled with our down duvet and were very glad to have done so, since the heat barely funtioned in the house we rented there.
aasta