Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Paypal chargeback?

Handling rental enquiries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
limousin-cottage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Paypal chargeback? Reply with quote

Good Morning Everyone,

Does anyone know the rules for getting a chargeback on a Paypal deposit for a rental? I have a lady in the US wanting to pay her rental deposit by Paypal. I do accept Paypal for weekly lets, but this one means crossing out a huge chunk of availability for a Winter let, which I am loathe to do. I have found lots of info about chargebacks for goods sold, and I believe chargebacks can be made by the buyer up to 180 days after purchase (!) but I can't find whether or not a chargeback is possible for something like a rental deposit. Rolling Eyes Thanks.
Hells Bells

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's early,and my brain isn't in gear yet, so I may be totally wrong here, but I think for a chargeback, the whole amount of the payment for the service provided has to be paid to PP in one go, so if you separate out part of that payment, (such as deposit, balance and damage deposit) a chargeback can't take place.
limousin-cottage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hells Bells wrote:
It's early,and my brain isn't in gear yet, so I may be totally wrong here, but I think for a chargeback, the whole amount of the payment for the service provided has to be paid to PP in one go, so if you separate out part of that payment, (such as deposit, balance and damage deposit) a chargeback can't take place.

The lady in question has also asked about paying the deposit by cashier's cheque. I have told her about Transferwise, but she says that would cost 47 dollars for a transfer of 725 USD. I have checked this out the Transferwise website, but it is showing just a 7.18 dollar fee. It's all very confusing. I have already explained to the lady in our original e-mails that I can't accept Paypal, and why, and she has asked again.
Hells Bells

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Waveapps. Credit card though, so still may be subject to chargeback.
Hells Bells

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about requesting the money from her via Transferwise, so she can see what she's paying? You could also give her your code to get a free transfer.
limousin-cottage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hells Bells wrote:
How about requesting the money from her via Transferwise, so she can see what she's paying? You could also give her your code to get a free transfer.

I have suggested Transferwise to her. She says it will cost her 47 dollars, but I can't see where she has got that figure from. I will look into it though, thank you again.
Handling rental enquiries