Paypal chargeback?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
limousin-cottage

Paypal chargeback?

Post by limousin-cottage »

Good Morning Everyone,

Does anyone know the rules for getting a chargeback on a Paypal deposit for a rental? I have a lady in the US wanting to pay her rental deposit by Paypal. I do accept Paypal for weekly lets, but this one means crossing out a huge chunk of availability for a Winter let, which I am loathe to do. I have found lots of info about chargebacks for goods sold, and I believe chargebacks can be made by the buyer up to 180 days after purchase (!) but I can't find whether or not a chargeback is possible for something like a rental deposit. :roll: Thanks.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It's early,and my brain isn't in gear yet, so I may be totally wrong here, but I think for a chargeback, the whole amount of the payment for the service provided has to be paid to PP in one go, so if you separate out part of that payment, (such as deposit, balance and damage deposit) a chargeback can't take place.
limousin-cottage

Hells Bells wrote:It's early,and my brain isn't in gear yet, so I may be totally wrong here, but I think for a chargeback, the whole amount of the payment for the service provided has to be paid to PP in one go, so if you separate out part of that payment, (such as deposit, balance and damage deposit) a chargeback can't take place.
The lady in question has also asked about paying the deposit by cashier's cheque. I have told her about Transferwise, but she says that would cost 47 dollars for a transfer of 725 USD. I have checked this out the Transferwise website, but it is showing just a 7.18 dollar fee. It's all very confusing. I have already explained to the lady in our original e-mails that I can't accept Paypal, and why, and she has asked again.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

What about Waveapps. Credit card though, so still may be subject to chargeback.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

How about requesting the money from her via Transferwise, so she can see what she's paying? You could also give her your code to get a free transfer.
limousin-cottage

Hells Bells wrote:How about requesting the money from her via Transferwise, so she can see what she's paying? You could also give her your code to get a free transfer.
I have suggested Transferwise to her. She says it will cost her 47 dollars, but I can't see where she has got that figure from. I will look into it though, thank you again.