Gite in France - tax situation

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
isplumm

Gite in France - tax situation

Post by isplumm »

Hi,

We own a gite in the Loire Valley and this year we have started to rent it out a bit.

Before next year I want to make sure that i pay the correct tax - I am based in the UK and most of the income will come from UK based tourists.

My assumption is that I need to declare it in France - but how?

Thanks Mark
JP

Post by JP »

First of all you need to go to your town hall and get permission to rent, without this you can get a large fine.
Then you need to decide which tax regime to join I chose the simple option of micro bic where all you have to do each year is fill in your basic details and the total amount you receive (in all countries) they then allow you 72% of it tax free and you pay tax on the rest. You then have to declare your income on a UK tax form (again in all countries) they decide what UK tax is due and deduct the french tax you have already paid as you cannot be taxed twice.
This is a very simplified version but the french tax office is always very helpful and will send you the correct forms.
James
nijntje

Post by nijntje »

just a heads up that there is a new social tax in place as from January 1st 2017! Anyone who rents out a gite and is not registered as a auto entrepreneur or anything will also need to pay social tax on the rental income! so for anyone who does this on the side and just put it on there income tax form now also need to pay social tax of 6.9%.
Sarlat Lady

Post by Sarlat Lady »

Is that 6.9% on the 28% which is taxable or on the whole 100% of the income?
I'm not as green as cabbage looking